Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What hydro oil and filter for 716H?

jlasater

Need to find what Napa Gold filter cross-references with the Simplicity spin-on tranny filter and I don't have a Baldwin shop anywhere near me to talk to them. Any ideas? What oil should I use as well? A shop guessed Hytrans 821XL, but I'd rather make sure.

I found something that may be usefull to you. At the end of this message, is a URL to Baldwin filters...crossreference site. Just type in the number of your Simplicity filter, the appropriate Baldwin filter should show up. Once you have this Baldwin number you may have an easier time with trying to cross reference to the NAPA filter you want. crossrehttp://www.baldwinfilters.com/database.htmference

I believe it may be a 1068 NAPA filter, I think the oem filter should be a 1650954 and I cross referenced it last year but you may want to recheck it. Don

If it is a NAPA 1068 the wix number would be 51068 NAPA filters are made by wix. I went out to check mine I had a napa filter on it. But i guess when the dealer had it to put some seals in it he changed it. I just checked cross reference it is a NAPA Gold 1068 or wix 51068 This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Any idea what hydro oil I should use when I change the oil/filter on the tranny?

My owners manual for my tractor with a Sundstrand hydro say to use type A transmission fluid. I don't see type A in the stores, only type F and Dexron. Did Dexron replace type A?

The local AC shop guessed that Hytrans 821XL is what the tractor needs, but they weren't 100% sure. The guy was pretty sure that I shouldn't use Dexron ATF though. Hytrans is a brownish color instead of red.

In response to a email request about hydro fluid recently, I looked at the manual for my early AC 716H (when all else fails, RTM). The manual said either Allis Chalmers Hydraulic Oil or Dexron ATF. Dexron is equivalent Type A ATF and has generally been replaced by Mercon.

Unfortunately I don't have an owners manual yet, just parts books. Thanks for the info, I'll give the ATF a whirl.