Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7016 slow to warm up

AC710

I have been blowing snow with my 7016. It starts OK but takes a long time - several minutes - before I can throttle up without it sputtering and dying. Running part-choke doesn't seem to make any difference. It always restarts on low throttle with choke.  When warm it runs like a champ with plenty of power and nary a hiccup. I run Sea Foam in non-ethanol fuel all the time. I'm thinking along lines of carb icing from the previous plowing that takes a bit to thaw, but don't really know.

Any ideas about what may be the problem and how to prevent or fix it

Have you tried adjusting the carburetor main jet a bit richer to see if it helps? Do you have the winterizing kit installed on the tractor? Not sure the winterizing kit would help with starting but it helps keep snow and ice buildup off the carb and llnkage.

Complete tune up. Clean carb. Replace gas line. Check gas tank for for debris. New fuel filter, air filter and clean foam pre-filter. New NGK spark plug. If points ignition, check points and condenser. And like mentioned above, make a Winterizing Kit item 1 & 2 shown in IPL of Mfg. No. 1690557 or 1690565.

2 hours ago, DanD said:

Have you tried adjusting the carburetor main jet a bit richer to see if it helps?

I will try that. It starts with the throttle cracked - idle jet.  But opening the throttle, even very slowly, results in chuffing, puffing smoke, seems like fuel starving, then it quits...start over. A quick pull of the choke does nothing. My working theory is that snow blowing blowback is getting into the intake or carb vent (?) causing icing when the engine cools off. When the engine is warm enough it clears up. If it was throttle bore vortex icing, I think it would run poorly when warm, too. but it runs great.

2 hours ago, DanD said:

Do you have the winterizing kit installed on the tractor?

Have the Winterizing kit? - yes. Installed on the tractor? - no. It won't fit due the muffler and outside exhaust stack mounting. I may need to modify or fab up something to direct warm air over the carb. This issue seems worst in 20-degree weather, common here. I may try parking it in the garage where I can warm and dry it and see if the same thing happens.

It could be that the engine is getting a little tired, too.  As it warms up, rings expand and compression gets better.  Sort of like why a "seasoned" engine will smoke a bit until it warms up.  A bit more oil getting by the not so tight rings until they expand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brettw said:

It could be that the engine is getting a little tired, too. 

A little tired, after only 47 years of operation? NAAH!

I suspect this engine has been rebuilt at some point in its existence, but I have no way of knowing. Might be a combination of too-heavy oil in the too-cold weather, and what you said.

8 hours ago, Lance Skene said:

??? a Lean mixture will run hotter than a Rich mixture

The cold air is much denser and thus creates a lean condition.  Richen up the low speed jet should help with this.

• Like 2

Richen up the idle mix a 1/4 to 1/3 turn.  In cold weather, the air is denser so takes more fuel to make the correct mixture.

Ken

HA! Just what Mike said!!