Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New to me 3314H

Levi S

Hello to all, I am new to the forum and i had some questions about a simplicity 3314h I had recently got for a steal. 1 how difficult is it to add a cat 0 3 point to the unit with hydro lift if at all possible, 2 what are the most common issues with these units? i already have to replace some seals in the rear end and track down fuel tank hold downs. any advice/ tips would be greatly appreciated.

Simplicity 3314H.JPG

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here and helpful people. That machine looks REALLY nice for its age.

Answers:

#1. It's not common to add a cat 3 hitch, however these tractors have an integrated electric lift kit that can be added to replace the manual lever, and a rear lift kit, and along with the two attachment points on the rear can be used for many Simplicity/AC implements like tillers, revitalizers, moldboard plows, cultivators, and about anything you want to adapt. The same electric lift will operate front attachments like snow plows and blowers. Both the rear lift and electric actuator come up on Ebay and are very capable. You can do the same thing with the manual lever, but the electric is nice.

#2 - Your tractor is around 50 years old, so no telling what may be needed. That said, these are great machines and tough as they come! I'd suggest you do an inspection looking at linkages, axles, BGB slop, steering gear and joints, itc. Ask questions here where there are experienced people who like to help.

elect lift lable.jpg

likt kit.jpg

one point.jpg

rear lift parts.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome to the site! I have had several 3400 series and they were great units. The biggest difference with the 3300's is they do not have the cone clutch mid-pto but rather a similar system to what was offered on the older machines from the '60s.  The vickers hydrostats are well known for leaking at the pintle shafts. The fix for this is to have the case line bored and bushed. I fixed one of these several years ago and have a few more to do, but don't know if they will get finished. There was a service bulletin pertaining to this from Allis Chalmers. Some of these machines have already been re-worked and have the bushings installed, in which case it may only require o-ring replacement if that is the source of the leak. Usually the rubber hydraulic hoses on the transmission also need to be replaced if they have not already been. The easiest way to change them is to remove the left side frame plate to give more access. 

• Like 1

As for hydraulic lift, the Vickers pump does typically have enough output to plumb hydraulics from its ports. Karl Brandt @Karl_Brandt had done this to add hydraulics to his 3416H. I don't know if there is a write-up pertaining to that. He has a webpage:

https://www.simplicityva.com/

Edited by Chris727
add link
  • Like 2

Thank you Everyone, I'll keep an eye out for the electric lift and just out of curiosity has anyone had any issues with the sleeve hitch system? I only ask because I have about 6 other garden tractors and if I can use the same implements that would make life a bit easier. My mother made the comment of "If you buy any more tractors, you could do tractor pulls at the family reunion" as sarcastic as she was I may indeed do just that with this old girl (still keeping her original). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Levi S said:

has anyone had any issues with the sleeve hitch system? 

The lift and hitch system are pretty simple and reliable. The  picture and parts diagram I posted before are for the later model large frame tractors. I believe the 3314 uses a rod rather than a cable to operate the rear lift. Here are photos of the 3314 lift system. The sleeve hitch (or one-point hitch) is an add-on used for things like moldboard plows and cultivators. It's a pretty standard design. Things like tillers are mounted directly into the lift tube and have an adapter for the two lugs on the hitch system. I have set up a tine dethatcher, spike aerator. earthcavator, rear counterweight and other misc implements with a few round stingers and some flat bars and chain. 

image.jpeg.7b5e6f4ba8443be65446f4311c01d326.jpeg

sleeve hitch-oem.jpg

Edited by AC710
  • Like 2

Here's a pic of a standard Agri-fab type tow-behind aerator set up to use the rear lift. I Repurposed the tow bar arms and added a big eye bolt.

agri fab lift 1.jpg

• Like 2

I'm wondering if the standard Simplicity hitch could be adapted for Cat 0 implements by adding a T-bar to the lift tube that would lift lower arms attached to the bottom lugs. Also a bracket for the top link attached to the seat hinge lugs? like so:

3point.png

3ptrrdn.JPG.f22e43edd25bc55b381f7b94195fff49.JPG

3ptlrdn.JPG.a99db1cebc1dab1fd6798345d396803a.JPG

3ptlrup.JPG.c5685e89ae3ee6282d98cc9779ac73d3.JPG

3ptlhclose.JPG.e1dc3426c53b361c692d5e590b1e378f.JPG

3_point_400_620_002.thumb.jpg.6d96bdb42c9c7d5aa7f6c1456653498c.jpg

3_point_400_620_001.thumb.jpg.a581b40d98bda0ad0d7830d513b38d27.jpg

Some pictures I had saved of custom three-point hitches on large frame garden tractors. Unfortunately I do not remember who's machines these were. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is info on the dimensions for a standard cat 0 3-point hitch. If the dimensions don't fit the tractor most likely the attachments won't work correctly without modifications, if the modifications can be made. The power max tractors came with a cat 0 3-point lift which is a bigger tractor than the Sovereign.

https://salesmanual.deere.com/sales/salesmanual/en_NA/lawn_equipment/attachments/bm17327_cat_0_three_point_hitch.htm

Edited by Bill725
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Some pictures I had saved of custom three-point hitches on large frame garden tractors.

Some nice fabrication there. Interesting that neither uses the lower AC hitch attachment points for the 3-point lower arm hinge points. I'd think that would be the obvious hookup. Maybe there is something about the 3-point geometry I don't see.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I came to the conclusion that there isn't much of a necessity for me to have a cat 0 hitch since I have 2 that already have them however I still need to fix the rear hemorrhage of oil, get a battery and put new tires all around, the engine runs like a dream, if anyone knows what battery category would fit best in this old girl as well as what exactly needs to be done to re bush the case it would be greatly appreciated, I have yet to strip it down and verify if the case has had the machine work done to it or not but I'm going to assume it hasn't. and does anyone have extra gas tank hold downs they'd be willing to sell?  and thank you all for the help I greatly appreciate it and will probably have a plethora of questions in the near future.

Talntedmrgreen

The Cat0 setup would be dissatisfactory on a tractor this size.  Cat0 implements are bulkier and the hitch on a smaller tractor won’t have adequate lift.   Plus, the expense would be more than a proper Simplicity rear lift and sleeve hitch, and the implements would be costlier and scarcer than the conventional Simplicity options. Simplicity devised a great system and the used market is always rich with options.

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Thank you all for your help I've replaced the o ring from the pump to the axel and unfortunately the source of another leak is this lever hear unfortunately I don't know the exact nomenclature for it but if anyone knows what seal size it requires so I can get one also if anyone has an exploded parts view with parts numbers it would be greatly appreciated.thanks again. 

20231103_180850.JPG

20231103_180859.JPG

It is the common Vickers pintle shaft leak. The casting needs to be line bored by a machine shop and bushings installed. The reason Simplicity used the Sunstrand in later models. Most likely less expensive to replace with a Sundstrand. Others will comment.

Edited by Bill725
  • Like 2

I repaired one back in 2018. I did not keep it much longer so I can't testify as to how long it held up. It wasn't done exactly within the guidelines of the service bulletin. Build posts are linked below.

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/59729-fun-with-a-vickers/

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/60461-vickers-rebuild-completed/?tab=comments#comment-483073

I have also re-uploaded the service bulletin document in the downloads section of this site.

https://simpletractors.com/files/file/313-ac-service-bulletin-lg-126/

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have gotten this beauty running and now I'm looking for a seat replacement anyone know of one that fits properly I'd greatly appreciate it I have one that's a universal fit but doesn't fit this, my cub cadets, or my wheel horse unfortunately.