Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sov. fuel filter?

Wilbur643

Did the late model Sovereigns come with an inline fuel filter. My '97 Triad has always had one since I bought it used, but it looked like it was an after market. I just replaced the gas tank shut off valve and it has the filter on it. Just wondering if the second filter is really needed.

Great question.  

Sovereign Command engine did as can be seen in this 1996 catalog pic with caption:

image.png.57cd9e72af483da21fa61ae6da5c6cd1.png

The same vintage SunStar Command spec engine (I bought one NOS) came with one.  

As to the Sovereign with a Triad, in the catalogs I have you don't see one; but in this pic of the Triad in a Sovereign 75th, it also came with an inline fuel filter:

75th_06.jpg.fa8715665caa85cac0658721a771ce98.jpg

I think the engine above is OEM stock.  But @ShaunE will know for sure since I believe he bought a Triad powered Sovereign new.   

1 hour ago, Wilbur643 said:

I just replaced the gas tank shut off valve and it has the filter on it.

I've never seen an OEM "gas tank shut off valve" on a Sovereign RBT.  Some (all?) FDTs had a fuel shutoff valve screwed into the bottom corner of the metal gas tank. 

I've seen many owner installed fuel shut off valves but none had an integral filter.  I'd like to see a pic of the part you replaced.  

• Like 1

There was no fuel shutoff on mine when purchased new.  However there was an inline Kohler filter.  Kohler in their infinite wisdom has chanced the design of this filter as well.  I personally do not care for it compared to the older, more cylindrical version with the hexagonal ends.  Same with the yellow oil filters.  Three Kohler oil filters available which all used to take the same wrench.  Then the color & knurled end change to the mid sized one.

4 hours ago, ShaunE said:

There was no fuel shutoff on mine when purchased new.  However there was an inline Kohler filter.  Kohler in their infinite wisdom has chanced the design of this filter as well.  I personally do not care for it compared to the older, more cylindrical version with the hexagonal ends.  Same with the yellow oil filters.  Three Kohler oil filters available which all used to take the same wrench.  Then the color & knurled end change to the mid sized one.

So how does you fuel line connect to the plastic tank?

Okay I just checked my 75th Triad parts book, it didn't come with a shut off valve in the tank. I guess the one I replaced a few years ago was not original.