Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What tiller fits Landlord DLX?

fasterblaster02

fasterblaster02

Hi guys, new member here. I have a early model Allis 712S with tiller. It is a nice functional tractor, but I'm considering an upgrade to a really nice Landlord DLX. The seller says he has a tiller hitch for it, but no tiller. My question is, I know it is a small chance, but will my tiller fits that machine? They look similar in pictures, but I'm fairly new to these tractors.

Thanks for any help!

The tiller itself is basically the same, except for the following:

Main drive pully

Belt tension arm/idler setup

Belt guard

Guide pulley arrangement at the hitch behind rear wheel

Also has a second  guide pulley arrangement at the frame  ahead of the rear wheel.

Here are pictures of the tiller on my Prestige. Basically the same tiller you would need except the forward guide pulley bracket is a slightly different shape for the Landlord application.

medium.DSCN1569.JPG.7c5bcaf9b4b30af534a4

medium.DSCN1570.JPG.f233360d691c25460af3

medium.DSCN1576.JPG.4c4bc6ba19f6be2e07c1

The forward pulley set  below  is different for the Landlord. Those dont have the same bends that this one does.

medium.DSCN1574.JPG.16e0277a8d424781466a

There is/was a conversion kit available for turning a Soveriegn tiller into a Prestige/Conquest tiller. Pretty pricey and though some places like Jacks still list it, I dont know that it is actually still available. I know the Prestige rear lift kits have been discontinued.

Simplicity 1686931SM ADAPTER KIT SOV TILLE - Jacks Small Engines

The above pictured Tiller is a Soveriegn Tiller with one of these kits installed.

Even if these conversion kits are indeed available, you would still need to find the correct forward idler set. Or modify the one in the kit.

I cant guarentee that the landlord tillers and the Prestige tillers are 100% the same other than the forward idler set, but from what I have seen I think they are.

Edited by SmilinSam

I have a DLX here for mowing but use my Sovereigns for everything else including tilling. If you have the room the easiest solution would be to keep both tractors. 

fasterblaster02

That's a lot of good info, thanks! It looks like it will be more cost effective just to keep the 712 as a dedicated tiller tractor. The DLX is a really nice setup that is hard for me to pass up, but I'll probably just keep what I have. 

fasterblaster02

I have a couple of cubs for fall cleanup/bagging/light mowing, and a zero turn that does the bulk of the mowing. Definitely more than I need, but more fun!

fasterblaster02

Another question, will this tiller fits any sovereign? If i ever want to get a newer or bigger model, can I just swap over the tiller, hitch, and pulleys and be good to go?

32 minutes ago, fasterblaster02 said:

Another question, will this tiller fits any sovereign? If i ever want to get a newer or bigger model, can I just swap over the tiller, hitch, and pulleys and be good to go?

Your 712S setup will fit any Soveriegn or like type tractor from 1973 through 2000. 2000 was the last year for the Soveriegn style. Tiller, hitch, and pulleys will swap right on over on these.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
fasterblaster02

Well, to follow up on this, I ended up with a Sovereign 18 w/PS. In switching the tiller over, I think something is off. The spring is stretched super tight on the tensioning pulley, and that pulley will rub on the tiller shroud in the up position, and probably 1/3 of the way down as well. I put a new belt on it, but it is the same issue as the original belt. (I thought maybe that one was too short) Belt is a 5L960. The tiller never had this problem on the 712. Not sure what I did wrong here?

IMG_20230616_221933741.jpg

IMG_20230616_222120289.jpg

IMG_20230616_222409554.jpg

8 hours ago, fasterblaster02 said:

The tiller never had this problem on the 712. Not sure what I did wrong here?

The 712 may have had the older fixed length lift cable. The  7100 series and newer generally have the new style adjustable lift cable end. Yours probably need to be loosened up some so it wont lift so high.

Thats my 30+ years of experience talking anyhow......and it may or may not not be helpful....

fasterblaster02

Thats certainly possible, I'll have to compare the lift height on them both. 

How hard should the belt go on? I had to unhook the spring, then put the belt on all the pulleys, then forcefully rotate the big tiller pulley to get the belt on. Then, hook the spring up, and it is stretched pretty tight. On the 712, I could let the tiller run, and lift it all the way up and out of the ground with no issues. On the Sovereign, I can't lift it out of the ground at all with it running, or the pulley will rub the shroud. Even hitting a hard section of dirt once pushed the tiller up enough to make it rub. I think I'll need to check it all over, starting with the lift height. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

I always preferred the 36” tiller which was equipped with a hand clutch. The tension was adjustable. It also allows it to fit a broader range of tractors including those without a cone clutch. 

fasterblaster02

I definitely had a duh moment 😄 n this one. Turns out the tiller hitch wasn't all the way in the rear lift tube- the keeper pin was in,  but doing nothing. 🤦

Tapped it in further, to where the actual hole is, and everything looks just right!

• Like 6