Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
TomF

Looking for Sunrunner info/opinions

TomF
I've come across a 1987 (I think) Simplicity SunRunner for sale in my neighborhood. It smoked a little on start-up, then seemed to quit smoking after half a minute or so. It did not seem to have a lot of power, but I didn't thoroughly test it. It is 12 hp / 5 speed with the rear cargo area and front deck (42"?). Asking price was $500. It has the Briggs Ind./Comm. engine with a gas tank on either side. Is this a hydro drive unit? The gearbox was unfamiliar/new to me. I am an A-C garden tractor guy and not familiar with this model. Any advice on the quirks of this machine, things to look for, and how it might work for a 12-year-old who mows the neighbor's yard with lots of obstacles (apple trees)? A picture of this unit is attached below. Your expertise, opinions, and any thoughts are appreciated! Tom [url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=TomF&file=67"][/url]

mbrook
Tom, First let me say that I'm fairly new to the club, but I did want to voice my opinion. I was looking into purchasing a "Sunrunner" and also wanted to find out as much info as I could. This is what I was told by various sources. - They do a nice job mowing. - They do not climb hills well. - They have problems with steering cables breaking. - I had one individual that strongly did not recommend it. In the end I felt that it was not the mower for me, but I hope that if anybody else has good or bad info on these they would say something. I would hate to see a missed opportunity or a bad choice.

powermax_paul
I agree with mbrook. I have one that we use at our cottage up-north. It's nice for mowing around trees and obstacles. It don't go uphill. As far as the steering cables, I've never broke one (knock on wood). I would say it is probably still more reliable than a box store special. Mine is an 8hp, 5 speed gear model. The 12 hp came in both a gear and a hydro model. Paul