Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Paint Choice

Hoss

With all this talk about painting rims, what has become the paint of choice? Has someone found color matches at the hardware store or are members using Oem paint from the dealers? I know not all Simplicitys are the same color orange/red and rim colors have changed over the years.

Hoss, I'm glad you've asked this as I am also in the process of sandblasting and repainting my 2012. I had planned on using white, as other club members have suggested, in that it looks cleaner when used instead of the off white/almond. On a side note, all of the pictures scanned from original advertisements on the old site always make the orange look much redder than it seems they should be. I've pulled the engine off of my tractor and the paint underneath is very clean and I imagine unbleached by the sun. It is VERY CLOSE to A/C Orange implement paint available from TSC in my area. I e-mailed Simplicity Mfg. a few months back and got a return message saying that they no longer have paint codes for the older models. They did say they remember that the paint was very close to Massey Ferguson Red though. Unfortunately, TSC does not carry that color in their implement paint, they do have a Case Orange, it is so close to A/C Orange that I cannot tell a difference, I'm sure others may be able to though. I look forward to reading the replys to your original message. MadMike

I am just about ready to paint my landlord and yeoman. Im guessing if you do a search on this sight there will be all kinds of resopnses. However, I took a tip from Rich Paquette and got a match of the "chevy orange" ya know the engine orange. Why? cause I think it looks better, as youve figured im not doing a "restoration" or i would find exactly the color it was done in. I know this will cause some static but I think the original white/orange combo for both my tractors is homely. Look at Richs tractors, arent they sweet??????? oh, i got the paint mixed at the local NAPA store. good luck dougm

I certainly am no expert on the old Simplicity tractors, but I think at least the oldest ones (Model 700, 725) were actually "redder" than the later tractors -- and definitely redder than 3300/3400 series... I don't know exactly when they changed, or what models were affected, but I think there was at least one color change in there somewhere between the late-50's and the early 70's.... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

I used Dupli-Color's Chevy Engine orange to rehab the chute area of a 36" snowblower I acquired last fall. THe paint match was REAL, REAL close.

Hello Hoss, I have the color of my Sinplicity Yeoman Bj. Analyze let 1972. it is RAL 3000 Gerhard Amerhauser

i agree with kent. my 700 is more redish orange than the later simplicitys and when i get ready to do the repaint it needs i think it will be tough to get right simplejim

although most of my 69 3112 needed no paint when i got her some areas did, THE CLOSEST I COULD find was simplicitys "deep orange pn# 1685611. It looks v. close to the origional paint, but the origional still looks to me to be a little bit more on the red side. Has anybody out there found a close match to simplicitys "deep orange" my local dealer gets over $8.00 per can i have looked even in auto-parts stores and havent found anything close.

If you really want to get fussy with your paint. Get a part that is not faded and take it to a good auto parts store that sells allot of paint to body shops or go to a high tech auto body shop. They should have a gadget called a color spectrum analyzer with it they should get the closest possible match. If that still isn't close enough that high tech auto body shop should have a skilled painter that can tint it to a perfect match. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

didnt want to get that fussy, i was hoping to just find a spray can that came close enough. I debated on the body shop thing, but i dont have any luck at all spraying paint from a traditional compressor driven gun. I guess i can stick with the factory touch up paint but i was just hoping sombody knew of any paint wether it be chevy orange ect that came close thanks john b

I have found that KRYLON Colorworks #CW01003 Country White (spray cans)is the perfect match for the "cream" white on AC and Sim tractors. $8 per quart is not a bad price, you aren't going to get that price at the auto stores. I recently priced out color matched acrylic enamal at $25 quart! The only issue with Sim paint (unless they have recently changed) is that it needs to be reduced with Xylene which may be hard to find. I couldn't get it to mix with mineral spirits or paint thinner. Good Luck!

mike i am up in massachusetts where did you pick up that country white places like home depot here carry rust-oleum brand

Local auto parts stores carry Krylon. They can also mix paint and put it into an aerosol can for you. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Hoss, seems to me the chevy engine paint is about as close as spray cans get. If I ever get to my 725 and 64 landlord thats what I plan to use...MPH

thanks mph we got an autozone chain up here and i will swing by my local store at lunch time and pick up a can and try it on the underside of the machine i am working on now and see how it looks. Do you have a prefreence for the maker of the chev orange paint, like krylon/ duplicolor ect

Back a few years ago I was setting my AC716 up for pulling. I got with a Simplicity District Rep who wanted to sponsor my tractor. He provided the paint and decals for me to set it up as a Simplicity 7016 for advertisement(grille was still AC). When I recieved the paint there were actually three different colors of the orange, each with only a slight difference in the shade. There was the more vivid redish tint, a medium orange, and a soft orange that actually looked faded compared to the others. All of these paints carried the Simplicity logo. The two brighter colors were in aerosol spray cans, while the soft color was in a quart can. I don't know if this paint is still available from the factory. He also supplied the cream color in a spray can. I no longer have any factory connection, the guy I dealt with took another job and the local dealer went out of business. Rod H.

Duplicolor is what I had, but my only choice within 200 miles, local NAPA store, changed paints so I'll either have to plan ahead, fat chance, or try thier new brand..MPH

Paint colors, To restore my 720 I went through the same thing like most of you members did. A lot depends who can get you the paint and how close your local dealers are. And the quality of paint you want. I found the original color of my tractor at Sandy Lake Implements, Persian Orange. This color is less red then Simplicity Orange (Sim.) and also less red then the next closest being Corporate Orange (A/C). Corporate Orange is easier to find in spray and quarts. ACCO makes them. The cream color was no longer available so I found an almost exact paint color. This is the Rust-O-Leum Almond. It is available in spray, quarts, and gallons. I chose this brand because in my estimation this is a very high quality durable paint for metal and gives an excellent shine. I hope this helps. JohnLG

JohnLG, The tractor you have for sale on EBAY was painted with those colors? I'm begining to think that I need to do a color check on my computer screen. The orange that you used looks very red to me, I can tell that the rims and mower deck are not quite white, easy to compare to the hood decal. I will definitely have to check out the Rust-O-Leum Almond. Thanks, MadMike

MadMike, The paint on my 720 is Persian orange. It comes in a spray can made by ACCO. SLI has it on their shelf. I compared it to Simplicity Orange and A/C Corporate orange by ACCO. Persian Orange has the least red in it then the other two I mentioned. It may not look like it by my pictures that were taken almost in the dark with a flash. Not good pictures for sure. The Almond is a good color for the rims and mower as they don't stain as easy as the whites do. Notice sometimes the Almond looks white in the pictures. I had better pictures to send but they were not with my digital camera so I sent the ones on Ebay taken in bad lighting at the last minute. My 720 is in the Gallery with some better pictures. Check it out for colors. I hope this helps. JohnLG

On the hood of my 4040 I decided to try Krylon appliance Epoxy for the ultra hard finish. Color suits me alright, the durablity is still out on it, so far so good but it hasn't had much test time. If anone tries it, READ THE DIRECTIONS, you must sand between coats if you try more than one coat,,,or,,,you get orange peel lookin hoods. It was a rust control job, it was a rust control job, it was a rust control job....I repeat that every time I sit in the seat...MPH

i was just wondering if a lot of this discussion of shades of white on rims isn't a bit of overkill. i painted my rims bright white last year, and after a year of mowing/tilling/snowblowing they are a shade of white influed by dirt, grass, etc. the added colors did not come off after pressure washing the tractor - still a shade of light green and brown on white. just for what it's worth-----------------

hi dave At least in my case having a bit of an engineering background, I am anal about some things. If i have to go to the trouble of removing, masking sandblasting and painting i'd want to try to make it look factory. Will it cut the lawn better, will my wife care will anybody else care HELL NO but call me weird i want to try to make it look "right" LOL john