Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign with Triad- worth it?

fasterblaster02

fasterblaster02

There is a Sovereign 18 with what looks to be a Triad in it near me for a very nice price. It has power steering as well. The engine is non-running, would it be wise to just consider it needing a swap, or would there be reason to get the Triad running?

Justplaintim

I have 3 of them with the triad.  Not bad engines when you get them running right.  The last one I bought didn’t run and the only thing that was wrong with it was the timing belt had broken.  Not to terrible of a fix for that.  

Justplaintim

Oh PS.  If you do buy it and decide to keep the triad there is quite a bit of info on here to keep it running. 

fasterblaster02

I have a deal in place to buy it. I'm curious on the Triad, it was produced at the same time as the Command, wasnt it? What were the advantages/disadvantages between the two engines?

1 hour ago, fasterblaster02 said:

I'm curious on the Triad, it was produced at the same time as the Command, wasnt it?

Yes; I believe the hope was the Triad would replace the Command (at least in the 18HP model), but reliability did it in.  

What were the advantages/disadvantages between the two engines?

Some reading, take note of Al's comments, a dealer who helped many on this forum:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/34159-th18-ohc-kohler/

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/38342-why-is-the-triad-engine-so-bad/

And some pics of @ShaunE's Triad:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/62768-never-used-simplicity-sovereign-hydro/

• Like 1

fasterblaster02

That's a lot of good info. I would prefer to keep the Triad in it, as it is different, and a challenge , but likely cost will dictate what I do. Used commands are plentiful around here, and I'm assuming they are a fairly simple swap?

Used commands are plentiful around here, and I'm assuming they are a fairly simple swap?

IMO, if you have basic mechanical skills it's fairly straightforward; the electrical aspects are the tricky part, especially if you're not skilled in reading wiring diagrams . 

I've done 2 conversions; I documented the second one.  It was available as an "Article", but is no longer accessible since that forum is dead.  It is available in the "Downloads" forum:

https://simpletractors.com/files/file/141-kohler-command-repower-from-triad/?do=log&

You have to be a dues paying member to access it.  

Edited by PhanDad
spelling
  • Like 1

It depends on what you find wrong with the Triad. I believe you can still buy the Kohler repair manual on line. I still use my Sov. with the Triad every now and then and it's every bit as good as the command and just as easy to work on. Now as far as parts go "forget about it" their out there new and used but you have to do your homework. Read everything here the guys posted that Al said about them and go from there. 

• Like 1

fasterblaster02

I was able to pick it up last night. It needs a lot of cleaning, but I believe there is a good tractor under all that dirt.

I'm likely going to sell the deck, as I intend for this to be a dedicated tiller tractor. Any ideas what to ask for it, provided spindles, etc are in good shape?

IMG_20230329_140720083.jpg

• Like 2

fasterblaster02

Seems like the Triad may not be worth fixing, it has been a mouse hotel for the last who knows how long. So far, the timing belt is either broken or off the pulleys, linkage on carb is seized, and one of the spark plug wires is disconnected from the coil. That's all I've seen so far, but it is still in the tractor. 

Justplaintim

If I remember correctly it takes two different coils. And Its important which cylinder each one is for.   When I was putting mine back together I was able to get the timing belt from jacks small engines. At the time I was also able to get the timing tool but I’m not sure if you still can.  If you haven’t read any of the other articles that are on here about the triad keeping them cool is key.  Cleanliness is key.  Mine were a mess when I got them

EE71CE38-1CDC-4FD5-A90B-9F2DD43B0E88.jpeg

384A1265-2FFB-4B9A-83C6-321536E9633F.jpeg

• Like 3

fasterblaster02
On 3/29/2023 at 9:41 PM, Justplaintim said:

If I remember correctly it takes two different coils. And Its important which cylinder each one is for.   When I was putting mine back together I was able to get the timing belt from jacks small engines. At the time I was also able to get the timing tool but I’m not sure if you still can.  If you haven’t read any of the other articles that are on here about the triad keeping them cool is key.  Cleanliness is key.  Mine were a mess when I got them

EE71CE38-1CDC-4FD5-A90B-9F2DD43B0E88.jpeg

384A1265-2FFB-4B9A-83C6-321536E9633F.jpeg

Mine actually is fairly oil free, but the area where the timing belt is, is packed tight with chewed up insulation, etc. I'm having a hard time justifying fixing this one, as cheap as I can find a command, or even a running parts tractor.

• 3 weeks later...
fasterblaster02

I just pulled the Triad out this evening. Im giving it away, if anyone here wants it. It turns over with a pipe wrench. I'm in Central IL if anyone is interested.