Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big Ten Anniversary

acken

I purchased this tractor in the Spring of 1978 as a local one owner trade-in.  Included with it were 42" deck, two piece cultivator, tiller, and sickle mower.  Over the course of 45 years it went through a number of changes, some of them are shown in photo group.  I remember propping the tiller up somehow so I wouldn't have to remove it mow the grass (didn't know about RH lifts).  It was the only tractor I had for some time, so some items were rebuilt multiple times.  I finally decided to retire it from active duty, replacing a few items to get it as close to original as when I bought it.  That's my son assisting (age 3) what appears to be a steering issue, and him at 15 years grading to prepare for concrete slab.  This one goes to his collection when I'm in the "home" eating pudding, and filling my depends, and not a day sooner. 

DSCN1387.JPG

DSCN1386.JPG

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

On 4/11/2023 at 9:55 PM, acken said:

I purchased this tractor in the Spring of 1978 as a local one owner trade-in.  Included with it were 42" deck, two piece cultivator, tiller, and sickle mower.  Over the course of 45 years it went through a number of changes, some of them are shown in photo group.  I remember propping the tiller up somehow so I wouldn't have to remove it mow the grass (didn't know about RH lifts).  It was the only tractor I had for some time, so some items were rebuilt multiple times.  I finally decided to retire it from active duty, replacing a few items to get it as close to original as when I bought it.  That's my son assisting (age 3) what appears to be a steering issue, and him at 15 years grading to prepare for concrete slab.  This one goes to his collection when I'm in the "home" eating pudding, and filling my depends, and not a day sooner. ...

Ken, I love this story! Knowing your mechanical and engineering skills I doubt you cobbled something together to hold up that tiller. That last line is the laugherwah. I agree with holding on to the tractor but that other stuffsm00

On 4/11/2023 at 10:55 PM, acken said:

I remember propping the tiller up somehow

My AC Homelite tiller came with a "depth limit" chain/pin arrangement that could also be used to keep the tiller up off the ground while allowing the mower deck or blade to be raised or lowered:

image.png.7ee8a46dfeb17ad765964d024d48a326.png

Although the T-12 had a solid lift rod, it had this lever setup at the front:  

Homelite_Rear_Lift_Kit_Pic1.jpg.dbc261fec0906cbc13e0f0435591153a.jpg

The "link assembly" could move back while the lift rod was stationary.  (The B-110 didn't have this feature).  

The first snow plowing the T-12 did had the tiller hanging on the back for weight.  Then wheel weights were "discovered".  

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments guys.  I might add the Big Ten is one of only two in my collection earmarked for him.

• Like 1