Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What size air compressor?

Viva-la-B-110

Viva-la-B-110

What size air compressor would any of you with experience sandblasting your own tractors for restoration recommend? The one I currently own is too small. I see that Home Depot will rent one that pushed 13 CFM but I wasn't sure if that was enough juice. Also, if I decide to take the tractor and deck all apart and haul it a local shop in pieces to be blasted, how long would you all think it would take? Just so I can estimate on pricing. Thanks!

I have a huge compressor and used it with the pressurized media blaster from Harbor freight.  I have found that nothing I can do even comes close to what a professional media blaster can do.  I recently took my 48 inch mower deck in for powder coating.  It took about two weeks.  I used stainless hardware to put it back together and boy, does it look nice.

Restoring mower deck - Talking Tractors - Simple trACtors

Cost about $400 but that was for blasting and powder coating.

Edited by wwbragg
add link

Viva-la-B-110

Thanks! I've  contacted some of the local places around here that do blasting and powder coating and they either aren't interested or refuse to give a quote until it's all apart and at their shop. The best I've heard so far is $125 and hour. In other words, this could cost a fortune.

Another idea I had was that since the machine does not have much rust on it, I might be able to get away with using an automotive paint stripper on it and a cup brush or rust remover on any rust and the underside of the deck and spindles, etc.

Thoughts?

Edited by Viva-la-B-110

To answer the original question, I use a Harbor freight blast cabinet that has been modified as per some of the better Youtube  videos suggest. 

I started with a Ingersol 3 hp 60 gal 135 psi 11.3 CFM compressor.  Not big enough. Ran constantly and WOULD NOT keep up. You would have to stop blasting and let the air build up again periodically on everything but the smallest parts.

Next was given a Flexzilla  5hp 80 Gal 150 psi 17 cfm compressor . Motor was not good and would pop the thermal overload if you ran it too much at a time.  Initial trials were that it too, would run constantly while on bigger parts, but it would keep up, and you dont have the loss of air pressure while blasting. Eventually replaced the motor with another 5hp. It does the job is about the best I can say.  It could be better.

My opinion is that the next step up  to a 7.5 hp or bigger with a 100 gal + Tank would probably be the right one for what I am doing with the cabinet I have. However, given the cost of such a unit vs what I have in the  one I am using, probably wont upgrade again no more than I actually use it.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 1

I have a 5hp , 80 gallon in shop and tie my 80 gallon 13hp I use for sprinkler blowouts into when I have a lot of blasting to do.

I also have a Harbor Freight blast cabinet , not the best but gets the job done along with the 40 lb blaster

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 5HP 80 gallon, a homemade blast cabinet with a HF gun and nozzle that is not made anymore, and I have been unable to find tips for. The compressor keeps up, but runs constantly. I have noticed no real pressure problems, and my ceramic nozzle is so worn that the orifice is better than 1/4" in diameter. It handles anything I can get into the cabinet. That HF cabinet will easily fit into my cabinet, if the legs were removed. I use a Genie wet/dry vacuum for a dust collector/exhaust, with the vacuum exhaust piped to the outside. Need a cyclone mounted, but have not gotten around to that, yet, and needed new tires on a 72 Ariens GT16 project, so can't afford one right now! 

A paint stripper will be a bit messier, but you should not have a problem. Be certain to use a good primer/paint system if you take the finish to bare metal. Question, though. If the original paint is not in terrible shape, why not clear coat with linseed oil, or a good clear paint finish? The machine is only original once.

This is a clearcoat, matte finish on a Yazoo I am working on. The original paint is in good shape, little rust that I cleaned with  wire brush. The new red paint will be under the belt cover and not visible with the cover in place.

Yazoo.jpeg

Edited by MrSteele
Added an image
  • Like 2