Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spring Revitalization

Brettw

Well, a few pics of the revitalizer and the annual spring de-thatching.  The new to me 7119 did the thatching work (hood is in the process of restoration, someone used it as a portable work bench for the last 35 years) The AGCO did the cleanup afterwards.  Just went through the AGCO deck and used my new blade balancer after the sharpening.  They sure do run smooth perfectly balanced.  Filled the trailer 4 times with the chaff.  The revitalizer is one of my most cherished attachments, and if you do not have one or have never used one, you would be amazed with how well they work.  Pics show the first pass in process.  I run around a few times with the revitalizer and end up with a carpet of thatch when done.

AGCO deck.jpg

7119 hood.jpg

lawn1.jpg

lawn2.jpg

lawn3.jpg

agco2.jpg

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, Brettw said:

if you do not have one or have never used one, you would be amazed with how well they work. 

I've never seen one up close and personal. I think it is a combo de-thatcher and aerator. Is that correct?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AC710 said:

I think it is a combo de-thatcher and aerator. Is that correct?

Not so much an aerator.  It does de-thatch well, but is set up to kind of slit the ground for seeding in the process.  I guess it does help to aerate simply by removing thatch, but it does not poke any holes in the ground, per se. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AC710 said:

I've never seen one up close and personal.

A pic after installing new tines:

IMG_8530.thumb.JPG.e2c175320f996ab88443eb7086f4c03a.JPG

The old tines were worn down about 1/2"
IMG_8525a.JPG.99358ed07031c2c143971a49755406a4.JPG

Typical depth setting is 1/2"; the gauge wheels can be adjusted to set the depth:

image.png.df855ea20069ce90a54f29e4a9784b4c.png

You adjust until the tines just touch the level surface.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Brettw said:

It does de-thatch well, but is set up to kind of slit the ground for seeding in the process. 

More like a "power rake" on steroids. I needed one of those for some overseeding I did last spring to get rid of moss and scarify for fill-in seeding. I used a brinly-type spring rake and spike aerator, but the revitalizer would be so much more fun and more efficient.

We had a lot of mole damage and dead, flattened grass with snow mold due mostly to early and persistent snow pack, I think. It's finally just about time to put away the snow blower and get out the rake.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a small-frame revitalizer for a number of  years. The plan was to put it on the Homesteader if it ever gets finished. I'm thinking these are best suited for Bermuda or Zoysia lawns? Seems like all I have here are weeds. :(

11 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Bermuda or Zoysia

I looked up Bermuda and Zoysia grasses, since they are not used in cold climates. Mostly here in the - snowy winter/cold, wet spring /hot, droughty summer/ dry cold fall - north country we use combinations of ryegrass, fescue and bluegrass. It takes some pretty tough stuff to make and keep a good lawn here. Also the glacial soils (infertile silt and boulders) tend to be soup in spring and concrete when they dry out. The solution to these problems is to take what you can get, then look up at the trees, bushes, wildflowers, etc, and go fishin', hiking, camping, skiing, hunting, picnicking or whatever.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 9:52 PM, Chris727 said:

I have had a small-frame revitalizer for a number of  years. The plan was to put it on the Homesteader if it ever gets finished. I'm thinking these are best suited for Bermuda or Zoysia lawns? Seems like all I have here are weeds. :(

Thats all i have been mowing so far this year

Quick update:  The 40 year old workbench restoration is complete.  The shift in the decal is a glitch in the picture.  The decals went on almost perfectly and look quite good.  The rest of the restoration will take some time.  She put on some lipstick, but she's not a prom Queen, she has work to do.......

hood1.jpg

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 7