Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16 HP Briggs & Stratton Question

Horvik

Hello;

I have a 326431 16 HP Briggs in the 3416 H. Starts and runs pretty good.

Question is sometimes while under load every once in a while I get a momentary "popping" sound/ slight loss of power.  I did open the main jet a bit more on this rebuilt carb also.

Any ideas as to what it is will be appreciated.

Thanks

Assuming points and condenser ignition system? May want to consider the Magnetron, B&S P/N 398811. You have to repolarize the flywheel. Gast and Sons in Caledonia, WI has repolarized many of my flywheels.

• Like 1

While you had it down, assuming you reworked more than the carb... did you do any work on the valves? Sounds like they need ground, lapped and/or, adjusted. Many folks like the electronic ignition, but your problem does not sound like ignition.. I had a similar problem as yours on a 10 HP cast iron, 243431 engine. My solution was to never use a Champion plug again. I have opted for Autolite or Bosch or anything that does not say Champion

• Like 1

MrSteele;

I'll try the plug options , can you specify which Autolite and Bosch plug you have used with success?

I did lap the valves , perhaps If plugs do not help will have to re look into the lash settings. 

All the best

Viva-la-B-110

I did a repower with one of these engine and couldn't get it to run worth anything until I pulled the head off and cleaned the carbon off. Ran like a top ever since. 

• Like 2

Block sand the intake flange and the intake elbow also the tin plate that is in between  make sure gaskets are in good shape and clean

On 4/23/2023 at 9:35 PM, jlasater said:

NGK's are tops too. I run them in everything and have a plug fail maybe once every 10 years.

Except in the Kohler Magnum 20 engines.  I have 3 M20s and I can't get the NGK plugs to last but one year, and they start to foul (even though they do not look fouled).   The Champions work great, I put old champions in to replace the much newer NGKs.

As a follow up to my original question...

I changed to a tad hotter Autolite plug(according to the cross reference chart) and while being REAL careful standing alongside the tractor did the following.  I engaged the mower deck PTO, gunned up the gas and slowly tightened in ,clockwise till it started to sputter, then opened it up till smooth. Note: most of us know the "gas" they sell is not at all the same gas they made when these mills were built in the 1970's. Also, they don't like the ethanol and the other nonsense they add . Thus , if you can get it running pretty good, then good for you! :)

Then went out and cut a few acres with no more hesitation, popping or any kind of problem, so I believe this is now good to go.

Thank You kindly for all the good help I received from you guys in this forum.

• Like 2