Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Junk Deere

SmilinSam

Got this dropped in my lap yesterday. 

large.DSCN3009.JPG.13bcbc96d42bfdefb7150

Wifes sisters tribe bought a repo house in town and previous tenants left a bunch of junk to clean up including this 445 They called and said come get it out of their way so here it is.

Not sure what to do with it. Pretty bad shape. Little to no oil in the engine, nothing showing in the radiator. Air filter is saturated with oil. Front PTO is missing, No side panels or grill.  Tires are about shot. Seats shot. Front of deck is torn on both sides, but the gearcase/driveshaft seems to be good. Hitch plate on back is all bent up. Tie rod ends are all shot. Keyswitch is missing and some of the wiring has been hacked up. All sorts and manners of other little problems here and there...

If I had a line on a reasonable loader for it, could put the Kawasaki I got on the shelf in it and set it up for  the wife  and daughter to do the own manure removel work.  However thats a pipe dream I think.

Doesnt look to be much there for quick selling parts either aside from the deck gear box.

Only got 30 minutes of time and  15 minutes of driving into at this point.

decisions, decisions....

• Like 2

That's a list of problems I'd avoid.  Put some value on the parts and time you'd require to get it working properly and compare that to what it could then sell for and then decide.  The house was a repo, so they couldn't afford to keep it let alone keep oil in the Deere, so the engine could be in bad shape, but you indicate you have driven it, so probably have a fair idea of its condition.

15 minutes ago, PGL said:

but you indicate you have driven it, so probably have a fair idea of its condition.

Drove the truck & trailer to winch it onto the trailer. I put no faith in the engine at all. . I do however have a running Liquid cooled Kawasaki on the shelf I could drop into it. I also have tires that could go on it on the shelf... as well as tie rod ends and alot of other stuff. 

Might repair and sell the deck, or just part it out. Leave the tractor to sit for a while....

• Like 1

These are good machines and the price was right. Price of the key switch is not for the faint of heart. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

Not sure what to do with it. Pretty bad shape. Little to no oil in the engine, nothing showing in the radiator. Air filter is saturated with oil. Front PTO is missing,

there is no front pto on these tractors. all there implaments are ran off the mid pto on the transmission with a long driveshaft.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, s_stephen said:

there is no front pto on these tractors. all there implaments are ran off the mid pto on the transmission with a long driveshaft.

Ahh...hence the hole in the front axle with the bearings in it would be to support the snowblower driveshaft then?

Another tech question: How do thehydraulics for the  #40 loaders run off these tractors?

Edited by SmilinSam

On 4/21/2023 at 6:22 AM, 720nut said:

Didn't think I'd hear the day ,  LOL

Actually,  I'm trying to sell one!644618fb57660_210ForSale4.jpg.46be7cde89d8eaf7f50e2469726bb83d.jpg

On 4/20/2023 at 10:05 PM, Chris727 said:

These are good machines and the price was right. Price of the key switch is not for the faint of heart. 

That aint no lie...

Cheapest replacement with circuit board I can find is $127.00.

On this one the circut board is still there, but the switch itself is not.  I think this is a early one (there are different switch assemblies for early/late) Tractoir ID # 445C041566. I take it the "041566 is the serial number??

Replacemt parts for the front body are not horrible. Can get new side panels, screens, and clips for under $200 and a new grill for under $50.

I am planning now on putting my known good Kawasaki  in this and getting it to basically run to see if its worth working on it more. If proves mechanically reliable, I'll get the cosmetics all fixed up. Once there, then its on to finding either a loader, or a 3pt & 540 so I can put it to use here in one role or another. Already got loads of Deere suitcase weights to hang on it for various tasks.

Thats the current plan anyhow...a long term plan at the moment

Unlike @Hick...... I cant resist

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

That's a shame.  I rented, 20+ years ago, and the owner had a 445, Kawi liquid cooled, power steering, posi lock.  I cut the lawn with it, about 3 acres.  It was a solid heavy duty tractor, and an excellent tractor, in my opinion.  Legacy size / type as I recall.  Looks like a lot of work to restore, but a nice unit if / when done.

• Like 1