Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower adjustment on 1690252

landlord2110

Most of the adjusters on the old decks I have had have been stuck tight. Requires either repeated soaking with penetrating oil, or the use of a torch to heat the piece that the treaded rod goes into. If one is not careful in the process, one can twist them off if they are stuck.

• Like 5

Viva-la-B-110

The issue I had on my deck was that the handles were stripped out and would just vibrate around as the tractor was running. I removed them and their hardware totally (although now that I'm thinking of a restoration I need to find a new old set). In any case, I adjust my deck by loosening the bolts that are circled in the above photo. First I determine what height I want my cut to be (say, the thickness of a 2x4) and lay that piece of wood under the rear of the deck housing right in front of the rollers. Once the bolts are loosened I used a rubber mallet to knock the deck down to the blocks of wood and retighten the bolts. 

• Like 2

Viva-la-B-110
16 minutes ago, landlord2110 said:

What do these threaded rods do?

20230428_090418.jpg

They adjust the angle the deck sits at from front to back

• Like 2

Here is a Zippo Vargas video of the adjustment process. I believe the front of the deck should be 3/8" higher than the back of the deck for a correct adjustment. Also, it should not be necessary to adjust the front clevises, just to raise or lower the deck height, once they are correctly positioned.

Does anyone have an operator manual for these decks?

Edited by AC710
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, AC710 said:

Download from Simplicity Manufacturing website.

Viva-la-B-110
44 minutes ago, AC710 said:

They're available online but I actually do have all the original manuals for the additional equipment that was bought along with my tractor. I don't know how much those are worth but they can be handy to have. 

59 minutes ago, AC710 said:

I believe the front of the deck should be 3/8" higher than the back of the deck for a correct adjustment.

After further review of the manual:

- First, turn the deck height adjustment T-handles fully clockwise.

- The front blade end (pointed forward) should be 1/4"-1/8" further from the pavement than the rear blade ends (pointed backward).

- Both rear blade ends should be the same height from the pavement.

- Adjust these measurements using both the front clevises for front-to-back, and one of the clevises for side to side.

- Adjust cutting depth by turning the T-handles an equal number of turns.

I had not looked on the Simplicitymfg site for implement manuals before and simply (!) downloaded the pdf manual. I do love Simplicity for providing this service!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

And, those adjustments work. BUT, if your rollers are worn like mine are, and need to be replaced, then you will be back here, asking how to raise the cutting height! I need new rollers and shaft and cannot raise my deck much above scalping height, on level ground