Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

excessive oil consumption on simplicity 738 w/ 8HP B&S engine

broadmoorguy

my broadmoor runs great but goes through (burns) 6 - 8 oz of oil per 2hr run. i understand that it is probably the the single oil compression ring. is there anything to be done besides overhauling the motor? are ring sets even available?. i am disabled and would have to get someone to do the job. is it worth it? does anybody still use STP-like additives to address such a condition anymore? all responses/suggestions will be helpful and  welcome.

thanks, broadmoor guy

This is all just my opinion... But if the rings need to be replaced there's not any substitute for overhauling the engine. I know that STP still does make some kinds of stop leak additives but I have always shied away from any kind of stop leak in any engine just because it may stop up your leak but who knows what else it might stop up. As far as whether or not it's worth it, that's something that's very much up to you. These days an overhaul could cost as much as a new engine. It might be worth it to research and see how much a repower would cost vs. a rebuild before making a decision. That's just me. 

There's a boatload of engines, 8-12 HP that have the same overall, exterior, configurations dimensions.  I would think just keeping your eyes open for a rider, a cheap old lawn tractor, etc. and you would find a replacement engine.  

Probably more than half of these old Broadmoors have had the engine either short-blocked or completely replaced. They originally had an aluminum bore. If yours still has the aluminum bore I am not sure that its worth trying to rebuild it. Some of the short-blocks and replacement engines had a cast-iron sleeve. I have bought a few of these short-blocks off of eBay over the years. Sometimes they can be found for $100-$300. 

• Like 2

Watch your local Craigslist and FB marketplace for an 8 to 10 hp older tractors. The seller should let you run it for a couple minutes to see how much it smokes. The engine transplant is pretty easy!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Or, to get by, you can pull one of my tricks to make it til the end of the season. Likely, you are using 30 wt oil, like you have for years. Start using 20w/50, and when you start using too much of that, 50 wt, and if you still do not have a replacement, run Lucas oil additive in increasing amounts. I have run pure Lucas to make it til I had time to build. Running the Lucas is not a cost saving. If the engine is worn out, that quart is about $25, or was about 10 years ago, last time I was in this predicament. This is in no way a solution, but might decrease the amount of oil you are using

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

That engine I guess would be designed for single 30w oil does not have a pressurized oil lubrication system and it does not have a filter, and maybe you are using a multi grade oil. Try using a 30w (it should not have detergents in it)  with for engines described above. I had a number of Sunstars with magnum engines and one tractor with a KT17 Kohler,  all were bought with the knowledge that the owners were complaining of high oil usage and smoking badly........... all but one of them was fixed by replacing the oil with a non detergent 30w. Oil. 

I hope ....... that this works for you. Very quick and easy to find out. Best Regards Colin 

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with that,  I have bought several smokey tractors which an oil change to 30w sae non detergent oil fixed just perfectly.  

• Like 2