Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My axle shifted on my 90s Sovereign!

dlkelley713

dlkelley713

Hi Folks, hoping someone can tell me this is not a big problem...  Sunstrand hydro / rear end.  I'm just getting started mowing and my forward motion stops.  Dang, must've broken a hydro belt, right?  Look underneath the seat, and belt is fine.  I notice the entire axle and both wheels have shifted right about 2 inches.  The outside of the right differential is apart / exposed.  It's all pretty filthy, but I'm trying to gauge my problem for now.  Does the Diff control the axle, or is there something in the transmission that is supposed to keep that axle in place?  (I'm hoping I only have a diff problem). Has anyone seen this happen before?

Thanks for your thoughts / experiences!

Dan

There is a shaft collar on the side opposite the differential that must have come loose and let the axle shift inside the axle tube.  You probably need to check the differential to make sure everything is OK with it.  

• Like 1

Take a look at parts list picture below.  Hopefully the collar is still there.  Jack it up then carefully slide axle/diff back into engagement. may have to rotate slightly to align.  Snug up collar and tighten. (Taken from Jacks Small engine site.)

diagram.thumb.gif.acd651c357b8ddfce55cd8de6d89f638.gif

• Like 1

dlkelley713

Thanks Tom, I was thinking that initially, but when I jacked up the rear end and slid the axle back to the left, there's too much inner axle protruding left of the collar.  I don't know if that made sense.  It's like the axle grew :).  It may be that the differential didn't slide back together correctly, effective "lengthening" the axle.  As long as I know that there's nothing internal to the trans that holds the axle in place, then I'll dive into the differential and see if something broke.  I just didn't want to waste time on that if I had a bigger internal problem!  Just to add insult to injury, my left wheel hub cut into my hydro filter, creating a big mess :(.

Thanks much!

Dan

dlkelley713

Thanks for the pic and thoughts Greg!  I'll get 'er cleaned up and analyzed today hopefully.

Thanks,
Dan

This DIY by @dave45056 has lots of pics and shows the axle/differential removal/re-assembly (pages noted in the “about this file” section):

https://simpletractors.com/files/file/316-axle-tube-replacement-do-it-yourself/

Although Dave's 3415H has a removeable hub on the left side, he removed the axle from the left just as you would with a welded left hub. 

Edited by PhanDad
Revised Axle Removal Paragraph
  • Like 1

dlkelley713

You guys are awesome as always!  I did confirm that the root cause was that the collar had loosened just enough to allow the axle to slip (as Tom suggested).  I've had this tractor for many years and never thought to check those collar bolts as part of normal maintenance... but I wish I had!.  Many years ago I did the little "limited slip" update to the differential, but it seems like a lifetime ago and I don't recall much.  As you can see from the 1st pic below, there is a seal that appears to have blown out the right side.  I'll get it cleaned up and use the resources linked above to get 'er in the yard again.  I'll holler back if I have followup questions.

Thanks again to all who responded!

Dan

sovereign diff.jpg

sovereign collar.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dlkelley713 said:

there is a seal that appears to have blown out the right side

The “seal” is a small belt type part that acts as a dirt seal; it’s part #26 in the IPL GregB posted above.  It sits on the outside of the differential tucked under the 8 bolts. 

• Like 2

dlkelley713

Well thanks to you guys, this problem and fix turned out to be way smaller than I was initially thinking.  Got her fixed and back on yard duties yesterday.  Thanks again for all the quick replies/suggestions /links!

Thanks,

Dan

• Like 3