Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SunstarM18 PTO

87SunStarM18

87SunStarM18

I had been looking for a sunstar I could afford for 5 years. I finally found a first generation 18hp version (I wanted the 20, but this is a start). Anyways, I have always heard the weakest part on the 20hp sunstars  is the Electronic PTO, and that new ones are hard to source and can be almost $300.

The guy that sold me my M18 told me once I turned on the PTO to NOT turn it off or I would have to wait until the tractor cooled down to get the PTO running again. Is this the symptom when these PTOs start going bad ?

I think I have heard that PTO issues when the mower is hot is a spacing issue inside the PTO ???

I don't have access to my machine to check part numbers but a local guy is parting out a few simplicities, I think he has a 70s sovereign, a 3410 Landlord, 80s broadmoor, and 16lth - does anyone know if any of these machines have the same PTO as the M18 Sunstar ? Are the 18 hp and 20 hp SunStars the same PTO ? are there any brands outside simplicity, Duetz, AC that used that same PTO ?

thanks

Edited by 87SunStarM18

87SunStarM18

Thanks for the reply Chris.  Do you know if the failing to re-engage when the engine is hot is a symptom of the beginning stages of these PTOs going bad ?

I have 2 1970s cub cadets and my family had old wheel horses growing up but none of them had PTO issues, so I am not sure what goes wrong with them. I know 3 people that have owned sunstars (or duetz) and all 3 had PTO issues, So I am guessing it is just a common weak spot on these. One guy put a new ebay Chinese $100 PTO on his tractor and has had no issues for 5 years. But another guy went through 2 cheap PTOs in one year  and gave up.

Anyone have good luck with any of the Cheaper Chinese units ?

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with phandad. Make sure the clutch is setup, the cold setting gap..... I think is 12 thousandths of an inche but I am not sure.