Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mufflers

JCS

Will an AC 900 series muffler fit a 700 series tractor? Is it any quieter? The 700 series muffler comes out the side of the hood and the 900 series muffler goes down and then out.

The 900 series muffler will not fit the 700 series. Already tried that route. It sits too high and is too far front for the 700 series hood to close. Don't know if it's any quieter, either. Whenever you run an exhaust through a hole, and the pipe is inside that hole far enough that the hood can open, it creates sort of an "echo chamber" My 700's are fairly quiet with the hood open, but there is a definate increase in noise when the hood is closed. An alternative may be to cut the exhaust pipe off close to the muffler, then weld on a pipe to bring the exhaust out under the front or side of the frame. Pat

Poor design on the 700 series exhaust. Hard on the paint too. I haven't tried it myself, but slipping an exhaust extension through the hood and over the muffler outlet may help. It would have to be a really tight hand fit, and would have to be removed to open the hood, but...............