Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7117 linear actrator

Bob

The motor on my linear actuator on my 7117 has died. Has anyone found an aftermarket replacement?

Thanks

• Like 1

I don't know about a replacement motor, sorry.

I have searched the internet for replacement actuators, and have not been able to match specs for this unit. One problem is that the actuator is set up with a ball-detent limiter mechanism that has mostly been replaced in consumer-priced actuators by electrical limiters. Also, I have not found load rating data for the original. The ball detent works great for this application, but I don't have experience with the electrical ones. Used lift kits and actuators show up on Ebay frequently (I've bought two), but I don't see any at the moment.

You don't say how you determined the motor is dead. I have replaced manual lifts and had a couple of these apart and there are a few things to check.

- The switch on the dash is a simple DPDT-momentary contact reversing switch. They can go bad.

- There are two wires from the switch to the motor. Grounded out? unplugged? Same issue from switch to accessory board, and from switch to ground.

- you can unplug the two motor wires and hook them up to a 12 volt source to check if the motor works. The motor reverses direction by polarity so +/- is not critical.

- The grease in the actuator gearcase tends to solidify and accumulate in the corners of the case. They are not difficult to take apart to clean and re-grease.

One other question - is your 7117 a shuttle transmission? The hydro 7100 series have hydraulic lifts, not electric.

You might get more activity if you list this under "talking tractors".

Edited by AC710
  • Like 3

Ronald Hribar

Many 7117 hydros have hydraulic lift

I think it takes a  different jackshaft

add on the hydraulic lift lever

• Like 1

My local hardware store (Ace) keep a brush assortment. If they don't have the size I need, I buy bigger and grind to fit. Maybe you can do the same. Good luck

• Like 1

I tried a local company that just rebuilds starters and gens. NAPA store and another auto parts store with no luck.

Thanks for the advice I'll try Ace.

Bob

• Like 1

isavetractors.com has akit to rebuild the starter & generator that includes bearing & brushes

• Like 2