Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Agco Allis 516H 44 inch deck height lever

Tarheel

Replaced the deck belt on the 516h and figured I'd give it a try. It does a good job, until it doesn't. I was mowing along and all at once the deck height lever drops to the bottom. Of course this had to happen right at the porch steps (where "she who must be obeyed" can not fail to see). I removed the arm and found it to be pretty bent. I got it back to the point I figured was right, Put it back in place and headed to the back yard to try it again. Seemed even worse. Got a "C" clamp and locked it down. It still did the same and would drop the clamp.

Anyone had trouble with these and did you find a cure ? Figured I'd ask before throwing money at it. Thanks

I dont know if the 44's are setup the same as the 38's, but heres the lever setup on a 38....

Down low theres a compression spring on a stud with a nut  helping to  hold the lever into the grooves. Then up high there is a spring plate riveted onto the handle that also helps hold the lever into the grooves.

I have had one before that had the top spring plate break off and it would intermittently drop to the lowest groove.

Thats about all the help I can be...probably falls short of the mark..

large.DSCN3032.JPG.7eee684882ce098456194

Edited by SmilinSam

14 hours ago, dhoadley said:

Pictures?

I have never been good at getting pics online, but I can try.

11 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

I dont know if the 44's are setup the same as the 38's, but heres the lever setup on a 38....

Down low theres a compression spring on a stud with a nut  helping to  hold the lever into the grooves. Then up high there is a spring plate riveted onto the handle that also helps hold the lever into the grooves.

I have had one before that had the top spring plate break off and it would intermittently drop to the lowest groove.

Thats about all the help I can be...probably falls short of the mark..

large.DSCN3032.JPG.7eee684882ce098456194

That is a big help in showing me the jam nut adjustment on the spring as well as the way the handle sits. Thanks Sam.

The price for the handle is just under $100.  I already have more in this Agco than I wanted so there is very likely to be some "Redneck" engineering in it's near future !

The rod that crosses the deck (from wheel to wheel) may have play that a bump moves it sideways enough for the tooth to dislodge. Either way, It has to be repaired. Not much use as it is.

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay. I found a JD GT 235 on Marketplace and purchased it only to find the mowing deck to be badly rusted. Bad enough that instead of trying to repair, I found another to buy. (I'll likely attempt repairs at some point. )

Hope to get back to the 516H soon.