Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Didier Hydra Sickle

gwiseman

Met up with @CarlH in Muncie and we covered the Swap Meet in Portland on Friday, April 19. While there we spotted lots of things we thought we ought to have and one of them was this:IMG_0655.thumb.jpeg.1d7f4bb45502d71b8154d609057563c3.jpeg

A Didier Hydra Sickle. This unit was stated to have been mounted on the red MTD just behind the newer WheelHorse, and driven with a pto shaft from the front similar that of a Sunstar or early Legacy. We pulled the guard shield and found no surface wear on sections or guards. Decals are mostly good and swathboard shows no wear. Pressure hose from tank to drive motor is weather checked badly and the base of the unit is corroded/rusted from probably sitting on a damp surface (dirt?). Hydraulic tank is full of oil and nothing looked out of sort. It just has all sorts of possibilities I think: 46" bar, no pitman, heavily built, mows in any angle, and is unique as heck. I've not seen one before but CarlH had. IMG_0656.thumb.jpeg.df667f44142f7ad7a407ce0684e14214.jpeg

Tag says Model #11051 and Serial #100271.  Production probably started at 100000 and I'd bet a low number of units were built/sold. I've seen where its speculated Haban bought the patent or license for the sickle bar but unsure of that. 

IMG_0658.thumb.jpeg.39c09c26ef734793391ade2fc7476d26.jpeg

I am looking for more information on Didier Manufacturing Company and am interested in acquiring any literature I can find to go along with this rig. 

I'll snap more pictures later.

• Like 4

Gene, what do you suppose the odds are that it was made in Racine, also where Case tractors were made?  I don't know which plant the Case hydraulic drive garden tractors were made.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, acken said:

Gene, what do you suppose the odds are that it was made in Racine, also where Case tractors were made?  I don't know which plant the Case hydraulic drive garden tractors were made.

Interesting thought Ken. I will read up on Case/Colt a bit .

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...