Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Shipping a tractor across the country

mattc

Hi all, I'm a fairly new member to the club. I'm looking at purchasing a Broadmoor 727 from someone in Indiana but am going way over budget when I add the shipping costs to send the tractor to CA. The best rate I've found so far has been $800. For the $800 the tractor is put on a carrier without having to remove the gas and oil. If I go the route of crating the tractor, then I have the cost of crating which takes the total shipping cost back up to around $800. Is anyone aware of a shipping method or company that would be less?

Hi Matt and welcome, you may want to check out the link. Hopefully you will get lucky and find someone that is making the run.....Art http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transportationboard/?yguid=96190142 http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.pl

I just ot back from a marathon tractor haul. 727 Broadmoor from Wisconsin to Calgary. If you have the use of a full size pick up it can be done much cheaper than $800. Had a beautiful drive too! If you can get the time off work and make arrangements about the weather, why not make a vacation out of it? Got to meet some nice people too.

Thanks for the info. I'll recheck the math on driving it but when I roughed it out the first time I came up with just about $1000 to drive myself. This includes gas, food, and a cheap hotels. I'll check out the transportation boards as well and see what I can work out.

A broadmoor is small enough where it ought to be able to travel via Forward Air. $25 per 100 lbs. Is the seller of your tractor willing or able to crate and palletize it? www.forwardair.com Don

I'll have to check with him. I was trying to avoid having him do it. I got a quote from a local place near him that wanted just over $200 to crate it. I'll call today and find out what the shipping guidelines are for the crating.

I copied this from the site.Has approx. shipping weight listed.I am not sure if that is dry shipped or with all the fluids.This is for a 728 but the 727 is the same tractor just a year older. PRICE LIST - PRODUCT ORDER FORM EFFECTIVE AUGUST 9, 1969 REVISED NOVEMBER 1, 1969 QTY ORD. MFG NO. PRODUCT DESCRIPTION APPR SHIP WGHT. SUGG LIST PRICE X's indicate tractor usage: BROADMOOR (BR), YEOMAN (YN), SERF (SF) BR YN SF BROADMOOR 728, YEOMAN 627, SERF 525 577 BROADMOOR 728, with Electric Starter 412lbs. $659.00 422 MOWER, Rotary 36" X 102lbs. 140.00 Hope this helps, mowerman1193

This is great info. I should be able to get the tractor crated and shipped for less than half of my original price.

• 3 weeks later...
I Was shipped 4 hundred something pounds from Detroit to Greer, S.C. For 127.10 forward-air http://www.forwardair.com/locations/falocations.htm

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. It looks like the shipping shouldn't be a problem now. Unfortunately, due to some other issues with the deal, I'm on hold for the time being.

Where at in Indiana? I'm in South Bend(northern part of the state).I could help with storage,or similar if you need it. Let me know. kenny