Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Forgotten 416

Austin

Many years ago @JimDk bought this 416 from the original owner’s son (first picture). It was then given to my grandpa when his John Deere Sabre was giving him some trouble. He used it a few times (second picture) but after about a year he parked it and left it do to a belt burning up. So after being parked in the same corner for close to 7 years I decided to dig it up. I found the bad belt on the rear end, and will get a part number soon. It also needs a battery and gas as to be expected. Otherwise, it seems to be in the same shape @JimDk brought it home in. 

PS. I know it’s a long shot but I’m looking for an NOS seat if anyone has one.

67604653394__A39C9FE8-870F-46A5-A6C3-78D7AC6E7816.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

IMG_4015.jpeg

IMG_4976.jpeg

IMG_4977.jpeg

IMG_4975.jpeg

IMG_4978.jpeg

• Like 4

NOS is a long shot but keep searching flea markets at tractor shows. It amazes me what’s still out there. In the mean time have that one recovered. 

• Like 2

Yeah sure ''upholstery shop'' said $200.00  to redo, Bought aftermarket from ''Farm & Fleet'' for $150.00, added a big A C sticker, Tada ( 4-300s,2-400s ,1-712,and 1-914)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gwiseman said:

NOS is a long shot but keep searching flea markets at tractor shows. It amazes me what’s still out there. In the mean time have that one recovered. 

I’ll get it running first. Then see if I can’t get it redone for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldsarge said:

Yeah sure ''upholstery shop'' said $200.00  to redo, Bought aftermarket from ''Farm & Fleet'' for $150.00, added a big A C sticker, Tada ( 4-300s,2-400s ,1-712,and 1-914)

Good deal if you ask me. I’ll try and get this one reupholstered in the meantime. 

interesting to see what can be done about the seat. I have a 416 I got for free with the seat in about the same condition. The rest of it is worse off. I know it has been parked for at least 20 years. It was "rode hard and put away wet". It has a ford/Jacobsen snow blower adapted to fit and a yellow JD deck adapted to fit - neither in working condition. I'm hoping I can get it running and pass it on to someone who wants that sort of thing.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AC710 said:

interesting to see what can be done about the seat. I have a 416 I got for free with the seat in about the same condition. The rest of it is worse off. I know it has been parked for at least 20 years. It was "rode hard and put away wet". It has a ford/Jacobsen snow blower adapted to fit and a yellow JD deck adapted to fit - neither in working condition. I'm hoping I can get it running and pass it on to someone who wants that sort of thing.

Sounds like she wasn’t well loved. Hope you can get it running well again.

If a person wants to restore as near original as possible recovering is an option. I’ve had several by seats done and never paid a C note yet so maybe I’m lucky. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwiseman said:

If a person wants to restore as near original as possible recovering is an option. I’ve had several by seats done and never paid a C note yet so maybe I’m lucky. 

I’ll have to see what I can do about it. However, that would definitely be an option for me to consider. I plan on getting a new battery for it soon. Then bringing it and the gas up to their house next time I’m there. I’m hoping that’s all it needs to start up.

2 hours ago, PhanDad said:

@Chris727 is probably correct based on this pic:

image.png.74916c699da149fd9480223dbce4687b.png

From the 1973 AC 400 series brochure available in the "Downloads" forum:

https://simpletractors.com/files/file/256-1973-400-series-brochure/

But, from the same brochure your seat looks similar to the one on the AC410:

image.png.edd5bdef82a658cd2108a04d84135f71.png

To my eyes, it appears to be a lower rise seat than on the 416.  

@Chris727 it appears from what @PhanDad has shown that there were two options for seats? The high back different than mine, and the low back which looks indentical. 

My 416 has this seat. Ridges on the seat but smooth oval on the low back. Original? I don't know but I see the same one on other 4xx series tractors around internet photos.

416 seat.jpg

• Like 2