Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rbozic

Mower Deck: Front Blowout Problem

rbozic
DaveG, Those are good questions you asked. I checked the blades and all 3 have the beveled edge up. I believe this is the correct position. Also, I manually turned the blades clockwise and they turned without much resistance. However, when I tried to manually turn them counter-clockwise, there was substancial resistance. I believe they must be turning in the proper clockwise direction under power. rbozic

rbozic
I just purchased a Simplicity Conquest with a 44" deck. There is too much debris blowing out from the FRONT of the deck. My tractor and I get covered with a layer of dust. The dust is much worse than with any of the other mowers that I've used on my property. My dealer installed a mulching kit and this took care of most of the dust. I was just going to let it go, but then somebody else mentioned this very same problem with his Conquest/44". Could this be a factory quality problem with a batch of these 44" decks? Should I demand another deck?

Spyder
Since I do not have any experience with this equipment, I probably shouldn't speak. But, this may seem like a silly question, but are the blades turning the correct direction? It seems to me that turning counterclockwise (wrong direction) would produce the symptoms you mentioned. Are the blades mounted so they "suck up" rather than "blow down". Sounds like they are blowing down!!! DaveG

rbozic
quote:
Originally posted by dutch: Rick, Does that deck use "Straight" or "Gull Wing" blades?
Dutch, The mower came with "Gull Wing" blades and they created a lot of front blow out. However, the dealer installed a mulching kit with "straight" blades and this seemed to take care of most of the front blow out. This is a brand new mower and I am concerned that I may have gotten something that is not right. Rick

Dutch
Rick, I'm not familiar with the Conquest decks, but I have a 48" deck on a Sovereign that has "gull wing" blades. That deck creates a lot more dust than my 42" decks with "straight" blades. Believe me, I know (see photos). There could be other factors involved, like the engine exhaust blowing down instead of to the side. Simplicity MUST know this problem exists. The factory MUST have suggestions. The 42" and 48" deck designs are virtually identical. I made a "skirt" for the front of the 48" deck and that helped some. I haven't installed "straight" blades yet because I haven't checked to see if there are other differences like arbor shaft length. For now, I mow when the grass is moist (in the morning).