Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New to me Sunstar 18

GardenTrACtorguy

GardenTrACtorguy

This weekend I was lucky enough to be able to purchase my first Sunstar at an auction. It was a one owner tractor that seemed to be very well taken care of. Some questions I have regarding the tractor are there any issues or known problems I should be looking for?  Its a 1987 model with the 18 horsepower Kohler magnum.  It was still in use from time to time at the estate but I noticed when I got it home it seemed to stumble and run rough at times. Pulled the plugs and found that it seemed to have over heated and have been running lean. The engine seemed to run pretty hot according to the exhaust.  I richened the fuel mixture up a bit and it seemed to help but ever once in a while it had a miss or two and the engine heat seemed a little less. Would an overall tune up such as plugs and carb clean fix this or could it be an ignition module issue?  The other question I have is on the steering. I have almost a quart turn of the wheel before it hits. When the steering hits it steers really good. All of the exterior joints seem to be tight and the gear quadrant inside the dash moves instantly with the wheel.  Would it be somthing to do with the gear box like part behind the one dash panel? I haven't had time to remove and inspect. Other than those two things it just needs serviced and washed and waxed up to make the original paint shine again. 

Image - Copy.jpeg

Image.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice find. Most of the Sunstars had power steering. If it has a Ross gearbox in my experience they seem to take quite a while to make a turn. 

• Like 2

GardenTrACtorguy
20 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Nice find. Most of the Sunstars had power steering. If it has a Ross gearbox in my experience they seem to take quite a while to make a turn. 

Thanks for the reply. I had a. Chance to get the side panel off tonight and inspect. As you turn the wheel everything seems to turn immediately. I guess I thought there was an issue cause the wheel just seems so loose.

• Like 1