Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

416 marked its territory… Plunger problem?

Austin

Well, after my last trip to my grandparents house last week the 416 marked its territory. And it did so heavily! Leaked the roughly gallon of gas I put into it. So after a little bit of asking around and looking at the tank. I’ve determined that there are no holes, but I’ve been told it could be the item in the second picture. A plunger of sorts? I’ve been told that after awhile they can give out and leak. Is this correct for the tank on it? Thanks in advance, Austin.

IMG_5052.jpeg

IMG_5053.jpeg

There is a grommet and a metal elbow there from Simplicity. The grommet is likely leaking.  Both are available aftermarket on eBay.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CarlH said:

There is a grommet and a metal elbow there from Simplicity. The grommet is likely leaking.  Both are available aftermarket on eBay.

Thank you for the information. I’ll go back up there sometime, and pull the tank off. See if I can figure out what you’re referring to.

There is no grommet on the 400 series. Just a molded fitting. The 400 series are notorious for the tanks leaking at the seam. Mine does this and I haven’t had the chance to look into resolving the issue. The 300 series had a metal tank but it isn’t a direct swap to the 400s as the dash tower/tank support are different. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Chris727 said:

There is no grommet on the 400 series. Just a molded fitting. The 400 series are notorious for the tanks leaking at the seam. Mine does this and I haven’t had the chance to look into resolving the issue. The 300 series had a metal tank but it isn’t a direct swap to the 400s as the dash tower/tank support are different. 

So what would my best bet be to try and fix the issue? Just try and get a new molded fitting? It didn’t seam to leak at the seam on the bottom of the tank, just were the line goes in but I could be mistaken.

Edited by Austin

The bottom of your tank looks like the tank in my AC Homelite T-12. 

IMG_5724.thumb.jpg.cf02cb0c05850df8aee5a9fc73d606dd.jpg

I also had a problem with the molded fitting leaking, it cracked along the top where the fitting connection to the side of the sump:

IMG_5728.thumb.jpg.cdfc3df7a01c6bddb94d3b16446d596a.jpg

Tried different ways to fix it including cutting the molded fitting off and screwing in a brass barb.  Nothing worked.  This occurred many years ago.  At that time I was able to find a used tank; not an easy task now.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

The bottom of your tank looks like the tank in my AC Homelite T-12. 

IMG_5724.thumb.jpg.cf02cb0c05850df8aee5a9fc73d606dd.jpg

I also had a problem with the molded fitting leaking, it cracked along the top where the fitting connection to the side of the sump:

IMG_5728.thumb.jpg.cdfc3df7a01c6bddb94d3b16446d596a.jpg

Tried different ways to fix it including cutting the molded fitting off and screwing in a brass barb.  Nothing worked.  This occurred many years ago.  At that time I was able to find a used tank; not an easy task now.  

I’m starting to think I’m going to have no luck!

If it’s just cracked at the barb maybe it could be drilled out and a rubber bushing and metal fitting installed. Anyone have any luck plastic welding? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chris727 said:

maybe it could be drilled out and a rubber bushing and metal fitting installed

I believe you're suggesting installing a "standard Sovereign" gas tank connector.  I considered that also but the side wall of the sump is too rounded for the bushing to seal IMO.  I thought about installing it in the bottom of the sump, but it would extend too far down for the hose line to make the turn sideways with the AC Homelite installation:

IMG_5727a.jpg.0700f4083e359ecf9d32d4c2efc6f4db.jpg

The AC 416 doesn't appear to have that issue. 

For me, if I could have sealed off the existing barb, maybe installing the Sovereign setup on the bottom of the tank and off to the side would have worked for me.  I hadn't considered that.  

11 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Anyone have any luck plastic welding?

That's the best bet but I've never had any success doing it.  

• Like 2

It appears that there are a few options for fixing it then. It’s on the back-burner for now, but I’ll see if I can plastic weld it eventually.

23 minutes ago, tadams said:

Everything looks dry in the picture, are you sure that the plastic gas line isn't bad?

I’m sure that’s possible too. I’ll check it all out next time I’m up. It looks dry because I dried everything off to try and get rid of open gas still covering everything.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Austin said:

would it hold on a plastic tank?

A wise precaution.  The product specifies metal and fiberglass but makes no claim regarding plastic.  Other tank sealers specifically EXCLUDE plastic so compatibility is a real concern.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwbragg said:

Here is an alternative I found on facebook near me:  Just a thought.

tank.jpg

It’d be a nice one to save. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwbragg said:

Other tank sealers specifically EXCLUDE plastic so compatibility is a real concern.

That’s my concern as well. Again there is always the possibility the line is bad, or a bad connection. But I shall see when I have time.