Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Not giving up...

Even though she's tired, I think the 20 yr old 10 hp. Briggs in my 3110 could do better. Just can't get it to smooth out- misses/sputters, both at idle and high speed. I've installed new plug; rebuilt the carb- and had it back off about three times now rechecking everything; new flywheel key; new coil; new fresh gas with good flow to carb; re-seated/lapped valves- faces/seats look good, no pitting, etc; head is flat... I'm really disgusted with this thing and I'm about to run out of things to try. Any further suggestions from anybody would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Dan

I see you have listed almost everything except points and condenser. Have you replaced these, or have you installed a magnetron or other electronic ignition?

You're right- no points/condenser- electronic ignition. What about the spark plug- it's a non-resistor CJ8. When do you us a resistor plug vs a non-resistor?

You may have a worn throttle shaft letting air leak into the carburetor . This will be a sporatic miss since the amount of leakage changes as the shaft vibrates in the hole. You can also have worn pivots in the throttle linkages, or the small, long spring that is installed at the factory to eliminate clearance in the throttle pivots is missing. All of these items can cause a miss that cannot be fixed by any of the standard checks. I have had two engines with worn shafts (replaced shafts and installed bushing in carb) and at least three that had worn linkage (either bushed the arms, or made a larger diameter linkage rod). If you have worn linkage, and there is no spring, try installing a relatively weak spring across the linkage to prevent the clearances from causing the throttle to move with vibration. Rod H.

Resistor plugs are to keep your engine from disturbing radio/tv signals as far as I know. I would try a different one. My 112 was running about as you discribed last week and a new plug made it run like a new briggs. I kept putting off checking it cuz I replaced it not too long ago, but ....shes runnin good again..MPH

I've also had a worn flywheel key (assuming your engine has one) cause all sorts of problems.

Thanks guys for all your posts. I would like to understand more about repolarizing the flywheel as Ryan mentioned in his post. Is this something concerning the magnet for the ignition, or the coils for the charging circuit? Is this something I can do myself or is this a shop job? Would this possibly improve the ignition some way?