Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 High Clearance

acken

Wanted something taller for cultivating the garden, didn't finish in time for this years sweet corn.  Plan to build mid mount cultivators also.  At least it's ready for the shows coming up, first one later this week in Elmwood, WI.  Doubled the original height, front and rear now has 14" clearance.  Rear tires are 27-8.50x15, needed at least that diameter to fit drop boxes inside rims.  Tractor is 2" wider than original, and 36" tall at rear hood bolts.

DSCN1398.JPG

DSCN1394.JPG

• Like 9

I would love to see more of the specifics that went into this. Wonderful job!

• Like 1

Can you really call it a FDT (foot dragging tractor) any longer 666

But it looks great.  Pics of the parts that gave it the lift would be great.

• Like 1

Here's a few more pics to show front and rear axle.  Rear axle shaft was lengthend about 2" on LH side, and tube was shortened 1" on RH side.  This kept overall width symetric, and as close to original as possible.  Center to center dimension is about 2" wider than standard. Lower stub axles are from trailer parts, with 1/2 ton Chevy truck wheels.  Rear tires are 27-8.50x15 Firestones.  Front spindles were made from scratch, and include thrust bearing tucked inside lower spindle housing.  Outboard final drive ratio is 1:1, with 10" drive pulley to slow it back down.  

DSCN1363.JPG

DSCN1362.JPG

DSCN1354.JPG

DSCN1355.JPG

• Like 7

4 hours ago, GregB said:

Can you really call it a FDT (foot dragging tractor) any longer 666

Maybe for an NBAer

Talntedmrgreen

Fantastic work Ken!  I'm really digging that custom dropbox setup.  What impact to the final ratio does that have?

Ken, once again a really nice job on a one-of-a-kind AC. Wish I could come to Hutch this year to see but am planning next year. WOW!

• Like 1

Josh, the final ratio is close to original.  The sprockets in drop box are 1:1, the 8" drive pulley makes up for the 27" tall tires. Everything above the axles is B-10, but has newer style 10 hp Briggs with electronic ignition.

Gene, any chance we would see you in Albert City at the GOTO?  We were there last time they hosted GOTO, they put on an amazing show!

Impressive fabrication as always Ken! I was just remarking to someone the other day about how these tractors need to be a little taller for cultivating. 

Ken - will this be at the Orange Spectacular?  If so, can I sit on it for a photo op?0:)

Fantastic engineering and fab work on display here!