Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
poolshark

Spark Plug Failures

Roy
Randy, Would love to know the answer to your question. I have fed my B-1 plugs at a horrendous rate for the same reasons you describe. My feeling is that either the coil gets too hot and starts shorting out or the spark plugs get too hot. I run the coldest plugs I can find as they seem to hold up a little better. Have even run plugs from an Evinrude V-4 that worked pretty well.

Roy

HubbardRA
Could be your magneto, or maybe your points need adjustment. I removed my magneto(which didn't work) from my 10 Hp B/S several years ago. Replaced it with a battery ignition using a Kohler coil. Used original points and Condenser. Haven't changed the plug since. I think I am using a J16 LM. Rod H.

Dutch
Could be a weak spark, carb adjustment, plug too hot, plug too cold, incompatible fuel, burning oil, mechanical problems. "Black" & "Powdery" indicates fuel mixture is too rich, or plug is too cold, or all fuel is not being burned for another reason. There are plug testers that will test a plug under compression, and you can watch it fire. If you can find a shop with such a tester, compare a new plug to the ones you removed. Try a different brand fuel, some fuels use strange additives. Try different heat range plugs, both hotter and colder. Try a resistor plug.

StanS
Randy, The Autolite 458 is hot plug and helps a lot when you run a little too rich in the carb and can't compensate for it. My '59 Country Squire had the problem until I made a radical adjustment to the float in the updraft carb. The problem could have been cured all together if I could have found a good condition high speed needle for the Wisconsin AENL 10. I ignored the float adjustment spec and used the rule of thumb "throw the !@#$%^& book out and bend the thing until it shuts off the flow when perfectly level". Which wasn't too much tighter than what the spec called for, but the float had been way out. On that alone I went from 3/4 tank of gas to a plug cleaning to 2-3 tanks per. I kept a line of 3 clean 458 plugs ready for change-out at all times in a little box w/wrench which was bolted to the machine. Hope this cures it !!! Stan S PS... Don't forget to check the float valve seat. Even the slightest imperfection can cause the bowl to over fill.

poolshark
i do know i need to do some carb adjustments, maybe that will help getting it all dialed in right, can somebody upload a pic to show how the throttle cable is supposed to be connected at the bracket mounted on the upper part of the motor, im sure my electrical tape job isnt the proper way, but it works, does anyone have an extra bracket you would sell me? i also need a air filter, complete assembly Thanks Randy ive been trying for over an hour trying to upload a pic, server wont let me upload

poolshark
my A/C big ten has been going through spark plugs averaging 2-3 tanks of gas, have any of you experienced this problem? with a new plug it runs fantastic, then it acts like it ran out of gas or just starts running real bad, ive tried a champion j-8, a green machine plug from fred meyers, and have an autolite in there now, making a few phone calls ive got mixed answers from valves are bad, head gasket leaking, and plug grounding, the plug is black, dry, kinda powdery carbon looking, but seems clean of debris, and appears to be in new condition when they fail. my napa guy told me theres a different plug recomended from the manual, with a note from a/c in the plug book to use a champion j-19-lm or a autolite 458, or a autolite 295 which is a anti fouling plug and 3.99 each, i do have electronic ignition, would that need a different plug? any help would be appreciated. Thanks Randy Powers airart2@msn.com

WaltB
I had trouble uploading because the .jpg file was too big, over 100K.Kent says it has to be less than 100K,well I made it 99K and it stillwould not upload. Finally, I reduced it to about 60K and it went in like a snap! This is the picture in my member profile and I have not done my gallery yet. Hope this helps a little. I take a KISS pill every morning with my coffee. (KISS-Keep It Simplicity Stupid!)