Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

36" snowthrower for a 7016h

mbinwi

Howdy guys,

The parts diagram and the operators manual show a lever that you step down on, to raise the idler pulley, to get the slack needed to put the belt on the front PTO.

It's part # 26 in this diagram.  https://www.partstree.com/models/1690033-simplicity-36-snow-thrower-attachment/36-42-snowthrower-hitch-group-2/

Mine has nothing like this.  Did they change things at some point and time?  Even a retired Simplicity mechanic says he's never seen one with the lever.

I thought someone in here might now.

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, mbinwi said:

Mine has nothing like this.  Did they change things at some point and time?

I've had several that had the lever as shown in the IPL:

New_HItch_0009.jpg.d25ac1da1f08ae11d5eea97d8cbb76c3.jpg

7000Series_HitchDifferent_0006.jpg.5f079817e2f846862ab66bd6a17fa701.jpg

Above was one side-by-side pic of different MFG# hitches showing the difference in the pulley mounting rod.  

22 minutes ago, mbinwi said:

lever that you step down on

I guess you could get your toe in there, but there's not a lot of room.    

New_Hitch_Mounted_0003.jpg.e3f7d2e0d7de363d515273482a1f11d0.jpg

Hitch mounted on a 7100 series tractor (17GTH-L).  

Post a pic of your hitch.  Maybe it's not OEM or a converted hitch.  

My blower has the lever. I note that on the lever models, there is an extension spring mounted outside the hitch. Stepping on the lever stretches the spring and lifts the idler so the belt can be installed. 

On your non-lever model, there is a compression spring mounted inside the hitch. You would have to pull up on the long bolt to compress the spring (is there a tool/handle to do that?)  and lift the idler so the belt can be installed. I wonder if the spring has been broken or maybe replaced with the wrong one - based on the wear pattern on the bolt.

3 hours ago, PhanDad said:

I guess you could get your toe in there, but there's not a lot of room.    

If you turn the wheels hard right, there is enough room.

Thanks, that spring was tightened all the way together, with no movement. I released the retainer and let the spring expand the way you see it. That bolt that the spring is around, has a bend at the bottom, not sure if should be, or I need to straighten it.  I'll have to see how it all lines up after the new belt is on, and attached to the tractor.

My north woods neighbor, the retired Simplicity mechanic said he had a 7100 series tractor, and it didn't have the lever.

I can also get in there with a small bar.  I'll get the belt on the clutch, just wondered why some had the lever and some don't.

Thanks for info guys.

18 minutes ago, mbinwi said:

just wondered why some had the lever and some don't.

You have a FDT snow blower hitch.  It used to have a clutch engagement lever; the positioning of the inside lever arm attached to the spring would move over center while tensioning the compression spring  and stay engaged.   

Before I got a RBT snow blower hitch, I also modified a FDT hitch by only cutting the exterior lever arm off such that it would fit inside the hood (if I remember correctly) since the front axle is covered by the hood on RBTs where it isn't on FDTs.  A pic of my modified FDT hitch:

Old_Hitch_0011a.jpg.fc9463d57e7b1f4e2ab44ee9e4b0264f.jpg

Your hitch was more heavily modified and has lost the engage/disengage feature which isn't needed on a RBT since the front pulley is either a mechanical or electric PTO.  

Here's a couple of comparison pics:

Old_New_Compare_0014.jpg.b2f32f9c9b1f61d1e1e9b9cf74ff9189.jpgOld_New_Compare_0015.jpg.ddfc91d26f81341d3edaaa98192351ff.jpg

The biggest functional difference is the length of the mounting ears.  The extra couple of inches makes not only more room under the hood area of a RBT but also shallower angles to the snow blower head driven pulley.  An important feature when mated to a RBT snow blower head with the 7" driven pulley.  

You have a FDT snow blower head (small driven pulley) so your setup has extra auger rpms compared to OEM speed.  I also ran that setup before I got the RBT 2 pulley hitch.  Here are some more comparison pics of a FDT snow blower head with the "matching" modified FDT hitch and the RBT hitch:  

Old_Hitch_Mounted_0004.jpg.060da1cd49e1f4e1c9265f2cbe39a196.jpg

Old_Hitch_Mounted_0005.jpg.9d68bb1340e7e24adfa2c4125e62ba32.jpg

New_Hitch_Mounted_0002.jpg.1170130fca29117a4ed627dcd0a6fb38.jpg

New_Hitch_Mounted_0003.jpg.f4bf216c168a16959cea7d33983c4402.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks PhanDad, now I know.  I'm going to make sure the auger bearings are good.  The auger and the chain drive shaft seems nice and tight, with no "slop".   I suppose the smaller pulley means I might need a shorter belt than what the parts book shows,  as they show a 7" pulley.

1 hour ago, mbinwi said:

I suppose the smaller pulley means I might need a shorter belt than what the parts book shows

Correct; also shorter belt since the hitch "arms" are shorter.  

I looked at some old notes; I ran a 63" belt on the GTH-L with the old snow blower head, but that was with a 6.5" driven pulley (I changed it to the max size that would fit (FDT snow blower tunnel is smaller)).  

So 63" would be a good starting point.  I've have success sizing a belt by using a piece of 1/2" rope following the belt path and measuring the amount of rope needed.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The set screw on the drive pulley is metric, which completely surprised me.  I'll be back at our place in northern WI in a week,  I'll mount the blower and do the rope trick.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

In your post on July 17, referencing the picture of your modified hitch, with the lever cut off, well mine is missing that top rod that the lever connects to,  the rod with the spring was then attached to a hole drilled in the side arm, while the side arm on the right was cut off just above that notch, as you can see in my pictures.  That rod and spring assembly, attached to the idler pulley,  bolted to the side arm does not allow the pulley assembly to freely move up and down.  I think I'm going to have to weld a separate piece back on that side arm to attach the rod and spring to so the pulley assembly can move freely.

OOps, I was referencing PhanDad on this post.  I would think I need the rod and spring to keep tension on the belt, and be able to get some slack for mounting the belt on the  front PTO.

Because of my modified hitch, and a 5.25" drive pulley on the snow blower, measuring with a 1/2" rope shows I need a 1/2" x 58" belt.  Monday I'll go to Minocqua and Woodruff WI. to see what I can find.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mbinwi said:

Minocqua and Woodruff WI.

I just got back from Flambeau Friday. I should PM you when a go back up on Oct. if you’re still working on this. 

• Like 1