Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
nighteye

A couple Powermax questions.

nighteye
I just got a Simplicity System 9020 and am just getting started cleaning it up and getting to know her. It looks like it gets pretty hot on the sides of the hood where the muffler is because the paint and decal is all brown and blistered there. Is there anything that can be done to prevent that from happening again after its restored? Also, I pulled off the cab for the summer and want to put the lights back on the fenders (they were mounted on the cab). The books I have dont show how the wires are routed. I dont see them any where. OK,maybe three questions, The guy I got it from was the original owner and took real good care of it. He put 610 hrs on it. If I also take real good care of it, how long do these things last? I told my wife that I thought it would last forever. I think shes hoping it won't, as I am spending all my time in the barn with it instead of her. Thanks Nighteye

powermax_paul
Ken, You have a great tractor. I wish mine still had 610 hrs on them. I have two 9020's and a 4041. Basically the same tractors, just minor cosmetics. I got my first 9020 from my great uncle when he went into a nursing home. It had about 450 hours, now it has over 900. I've put on about 500 hours since 1988. Anyway, what I'm saying is expect about 1800 to 2000 hrs before a major rebuild if you maintain it well. As for questions: 1. My first System 9020 decals are blistered also. These Onan engines run hot and I don't have a good solution for you. I don't think there's a hood decal out there that will withstand that heat for the life of one of these tractors. 2. I have a cab on my second 9020, but I leave it on in the summer. It's really heavy metal cab, so I just take the doors off. The lights connect to a wire under the seat 3. I think I answered question #3 above. Good Luck and congrats! Paul

BigSix
I'm pretty sure there are adhesive-backed heat-reflecting matting you can get, expecially in the automotive field. Sorry, no actual sources. But why wouldn't that help protect the burning decals problem?

nighteye
Thank you for your help. It looks like I am gonna have to run a couple wires, because they are nowhere to be found. As far as the heat thing,. I saw a 720 AC on e-bay that had what looked like house vents cut into the hood. I dont think I could ever bring myself to cut into a hood like that but I wonder if it worked to get rid of some heat. I work in Const and know that some of our air cooled equip is designed to run with all the sides and-or hoods shut. Otherwise they over heat. Of course a manual for a tractor wouldnt tell you to keep your hood down for that purpose cause you'd look pretty goofy mowing with it up. I just wonder. Sorry for rambling on Ken

jlasater
I've seen adhesive foam backed aluminum sheet that works great for reflecting heat, like between a exhaust system and body work. You also might be able to form a heat shield for the mufflers to help reflect heat off of the hoot.