Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

738 magneto replacement.

mbinwi

Dumb question alert :  I needed a new magneto/ignition coil for my 738, 8hp briggs.  I took the old one off months ago, thought I'd put the new one one, and thought I knew exactly how it went on.  There is this sheet metal thing that sits vertical,  that goes on when you screw on the magneto.  I've gone completely gone brain dead, what side does it go on?  Parts images don't show it.  

Go ahead, laugh, as I am,

Thanks,

Mike.

Never mind, I always save old parts, so I dug the old one out the scrap box, and that showed me what to do.  There's no provision on the new part for this, so it went into the scrap as box as well.

Running fine.

What I don't get is the way the hood bolts on.  If you have to loosen the front grill to get at the front of the motor, aligning the hood bolts just sucks, haha  it's too hot out to fight it, I got the back 2 bolts in, life is good!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mbinwi said:

Never mind, I always save old parts, so I dug the old one out the scrap box, and that showed me what to do.  There's no provision on the new part for this, so it went into the scrap as box as well.

Running fine.

What I don't get is the way the hood bolts on.  If you have to loosen the front grill to get at the front of the motor, aligning the hood bolts just sucks, haha  it's too hot out to fight it, I got the back 2 bolts in, life is good!

Definitely not enough room between the grille and the engine in the small-frame models. The 1975 models had a revised hood that flipped forward with the grille.