Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
oscard

Kohler M20 Governor replacement

oscard
Hey All, Just found out that to fix the governor on my 86 Sunstar I need to pull the engine and split the case. What a crummy deal. The engine runs well and doesn't smoke, drink, or stay out late. However if I need to pull it down I might as well rebuild it. Don't feel like doing that, just thinking about replacing the engine instead. Does anyone know a very reputable rebuilder, I have the skills, tools but just don't have the time. Does anyone know of an electronic governor that can be retofitted? Thanks in advance.

MikeES
Are you sure the governor is bad? I picked up a 917 with a "bad governor" and all that was needed was a readjustment. Also a dirty or out of adjustment carburetor can make the govervor act up. Good Luck!

Al
Hi, Somewhere in the past I posted a reply to this subject. The governor can be replaced with out splitting the case. There was a Kohler service buttetin on this. Usually the problem is caused by the governor shaft in the rear {PTO} end of the engine. [engine is backwards in this application] coming loose. This comes from the engine being overheated at some point in its life. The aluminum in the case expands and contracts and the shaft comes loose. The shaft needs to be pushed back and drilled and pinned. Then the rear cylinder needs to be unbolted from the crankcase. Pull the piston down until the wrist pin can be removed and leave the piston and rings in the cylinder. Then fish the governor up to the shaft through the cyl hole in the crankcase using a wire up through the oil fill hole. then reassenble. FIRST make sure the arm is properly adjusted before going this deep. Good Luck, Al Eden If you can't recover the article I posted, and you need to go this way YELL.