Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JohnInMI

Looking at an AC 611

JohnInMI
I'm going to look at an AC 611 tomorrow. It has a 36" deck, 5 speed, new tires, new belts, and new battery. Anything I should look for? Rust on the deck around the bearings? The owner didn't know what year it was. Is there a way if I get the serial number to look that up here? Would I be able to get a snow blowere for this? I live in Michigan and half the winter I'm shovelling.

mowerman1193
I belive that is the same as a Simplicity 4211.I also belive blowers are avalible for them,not sure about snow blades.They really are'nt a heavy built tractor though but will handle the blower and mower ok.Two things I know of to look for.1)Drive it around before you buy it and try to go up some hills and do some sharp turns ect.Make sure it does'nt surge or act like you push the clutch in and let it out while coasting.The transmissions seem to be a problem with them from my experience.The shift keys get worn and slip (kinda like slipping the clutch or something and it will make it jerk or surge.2)Check for wear on the deck wheels and the shaft they fit on.Mine was worn so bad the wheels would'nt stay on.If you have a welder there is a cheap fix for it though,but if you dont it will run about $120 to buy the shafts that the wheels mount to. Hope this helps, mowerman1193

JohnInMI
Thanks for the advice mowerman. I checked it out today and I thought that it would have the great simplicity deck. Well it didn't, so I wasn't too interested. I don't mind a project mower, but I have to have that deck. The two rollers that were on there were loose, so I'd have to fix that. It seemed to run very well though. I was quite happy with that. Maybe it would be different starting it in the winter though.