Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
roma3112

STUCK RIMS

BigSix
I've used heat to loosened car and pickup rims when they had rusted fast to brake drums. Oxy/acetylene works best, but on a garden tractor, I don't know what problems that might cause with axle seals, if there are any near the wheel. I have also had success simply using a propane torch, as it created enough expansion to break the rust loose. With cars, you just head the area in the center, where the flat drum is tight against the backside of the wheel, in and around the lug bolts. Heat, the beat, no harder than necessary. I'm sure someone will have some better, tractor-specific advice on here soon. Good luck.

I used a "steering wheel" puller, some heat near the hub, and penatrating fluid. I ran the puller bolts through the rims where you would bolt up wheel weights. On cars, we used to loosen the lug nuts just enough and drive down the road. dougm

roma3112
thanks doug i think however this tractor does not have holes in the rear rim for weights. i was thinking of unseating the tire and trying a large puller around the rim

No holes? thats a tough one, I know ya want to pull as close to center as possible........good luck, one of these old tractor dogs will have a solution, i bet before you eat lunch. doug

WaltB
How big of a hurry are you to get them off? I took off the rear wheels on a 4208 about a month ago and I used plenty of 5W30 and WD-40 (WalMart Tech) but not together so much and let them soak overnight. One wheel came right off and the other needed more time. I don't like the idea of heat unless you have to. I assume you have a keyway and the trick is to get that soaked with oil. BTW are you taking the transaxle out? If you are I used a trick to save the threads in the housing. I take a KISS pill every morning with my coffee. (KISS-Keep It Simplicity Stupid!)

colt
I am not sure if your rims are the same as my 5008 ,mine slide over the axle with a pin to hold them on . but I used a air hammer with a chisel bit that I hit with a hammer to dual it so it dosn't cut into it to bad. I dont think my rims have ever been off . Let it hammer on it and you will see the rust start coming out and soon the rim starts to move. It will make a mark but it is on the inside

Scotmo
I have a 6216 and backed the lugs off just a few threads and coated everything I could hit with chain and cable lube. Then took it for a ride lots of stops and starts (forward and reverse). It was'nt pretty but it worked Hope this helps....Scot Mechanical things must not upset me.(repeat 100 times a day)

KSever
I tried that one with my 4111. Had to drill out the pin and drove it around for about 2 weeks after work everyday. Tried heat, liquid wrench, more heat and liquid wrench. Finally had to cut the rim off the shaft with a sawzall. I tried to get this rim off for nearly a month. I cut around the center of the rim where there was only the center of the rim was left on the axle. Then cut the center of the rim in half off the axle very carefully not to scar the axle, when I cut the center it dropped right off like nothing was ever holding it on. Luckily I had 2 new rims for the back. When I put them back on the axle I used anti-sieze on the axle. And have been taking them off and on every month. Kris