Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Case 444 tractor

petef

I know this web page is for simplicity tractors but does anyone have any knowledge or experience with a Case 444 hydro drive? I saw one for sale on the side of the road yesterday and the guy wnats $900 buck for it. The package includes a front snowthrower and 48" mower deck. I stopped and looked quickly at the thing I didn't see any noticable hydralic leaks and the body was in great shape. The seller said he has only owned it a year ( came with the house he bought) but the proior owner had it serviced regularly. He actually gave me the name of the service shop that has done all of the service since new, if I wanted to look over the records of the tractor. What does on of these usually go for? Thanks Pete

Pete, there is a fairly active case site on Yahoo I read now and then, in the winter months when I have some time to kill, seems that is a pretty good price if I recall right..MPH

Hi Pete, I have one, paid $850. for it. Came with a sicklebar (that is not for it), snowblade, (which I sold for $250) and a deck. Had various small leaks, looked rough, and I did an engine rebuild on it. Still feel, I got a good deal. 14HP kohler is strong, and the tractor with the big wheels produces a ton of torque. Like it, alot. They look real neat cleaned up. Gave mine a spray can paint job....check link......if the one you're looking at is a good runner, I would say try to get the price a little lower, but even if you can't , its sounds like a decent deal........Good luck Art http://www.geocities.com/arjr111/ArtsTractors.html

My neighbor has a Case. Don't know the model # but it is at least as big as a Soveriegn with larger rear wheels and about a 60" deck. It mows like crap and his yard looks terrible. He complained last year that he was never taking the deck off again as he had a hard time putting it back on. Brent

Don't think there were too many of these old tractors made that were/are as simple to change attachments on as the ones we all crow about on this site. Thats my biggest beef with the gilsons I have, way over engineered to be complicaated..Took me less than 20 min to take the grader blade off the 112 and put the mower on last nite, most of that was looking for the 2 belts...MPH

The 444 Case/Ingersol had a very CRUDE deck that is hung from the frame and does a terrible job of mowing. The Hy-Drive is a hydraulic drive and NOT a hydrostatic drive. If it does not have the optional flow control valves it can freewheel going down hills. Generally not a tractor for hillsides or slopes. And the biggest problem is that they put the engine in backwards, all the heat is blown towards the driver. This may be OK in winter, but in summer the dash gets so HOT you will burn yourself on it. It did have some clever hydraulic driven attachments (wood splitter, sno-thrower, etc.) Good Luck!

My Case has a 44" deck, and I have not had the bad experiences with it, described above. Have heard of some cutting problems with larger decks, due to, not maintaining them properly, ie., timing and blade tip speed. The deck is super heavy duty, which may account for some having trouble attaching and removing. I put new blades and belts and it cuts just as well as any of my other tractors. It does have a tendency to run downhill but has not given me any other hill problems. Going from forward to reverse, too quickly can be teeth jarring. The ride itself is very stiff, and bumpy, but these are very strong (commercial grade) machines. As far as heating problems I have not experienced this, either. The engine has plenty of open area to vent heat to. A testament to the popularity (and by extension, desireable characteristics) of this machine can be witnessed by looking at the link. You will notice the brand new Ingersoll 4000, is almost identical to my early 70's 444, not too many other tractors, have enjoyed this kind of "run"......Art http://garysyamaha.com/ingersolltractors.html