Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

lawn sweepers

ultimatehick

I was jus woundering if the lawn sweepers were worth the money. I mow with a 7116 and thye grass often times clumps up. if they do work could you tell me some good places to buy one because i want one that will not fall apart.

mine works ,it is a agri-fab. Mine is to small but it works . Look at farm and lawn stores .Sears sells lawn sweepers too. Look on the internet in a search

Yes they work great. Sure makes my hands happy (no raking) plus it's another excuse to drive my tractor!!!!! The only bad part is, if you like your yard stripped it takes that awaay when you sweep. I normally mow again to get the strip look. Just another reason to drive my tractor. BUDD

I have a 42" Agri-fab sweeper that I use for my lawn service. Don't use it a lot, but it sees much more use than the average homeowner. I do give it some yearly maintenance, but it is very little. I remove the wheels, then take out the drive gears. Wash everything, and reassemble with new grease. Takes about 20 minutes. Have had it for five years and no sign of wear in the drives or axle. Bought mine at "Home of Economy", a locally owned farm supply store. Went in and told the salesman that I wanted a sweeper, fertilizer spreader, and a sprayer. Told him to make me a deal and he took 20% off the total price of each. Pat

Ben, I don't use a lawn sweeper, so my info is second hand. Anyway, one of the things to consider is supposed to be gearing. The lower the gear ratio (higher numerically) the faster the brush turns for each rotation of the wheel. For example, 8:1 is supposed to be more efficient than 3:1 (makes sense to me). "Parker" is reported one of the premium brands.

That's a good point, Dutch. I would think that the slower you can go, the better job of picking up you will do. You still have to go fast enough that the brushes will throw the material to the rear of the cart, or you will not be able to fill the cart completely. To throw the material that far back, I have to use the fastest travel speed available. If the material is heavy, I can't go fast enough. It still works fine for me, as I only use it for smaller jobs where I do not want to mount the vacuum and carry the trailer. Pat

I have been using a 42" Brinley for one year now, (bought new last year). So far it has worked well...with one exception; if it is windy outside a lot of the grass and clippings shoot over top the back of the catcher, even with the wind screen in place. Also, if you have a lot of dips and valleys in your lawn you may want to consider a narrower sweeper. I have some trouble with one side of the sweeper 'coming off of the ground' when I go through some of the dips on my yard, (but not enough to be complaining). As far as durability...so far, so good. I bought Brinley because I trusted the name..and it was less expensive than going to Simplicity to buy the exact same unit. Check the warranty on the unit you may decide on...Brinley warrants theirs for two years. I'm not sure about the rest. Do I recomend you get one? If your'e thinking that this is supposed to be a replacement for a lawn vacuum...you'll be disappointed. It will not replace a tractor mounted grass collector. However, if what you are looking for is something that will clean up the majority of the clippings/grass off of your lawn (at a fraction of the price of a new lawn vaccuum) it does that very well. Hope this wasn't too confusing! SimpleMan

I've never used a sweeper but, I thought that a sweeper would do a better job of stripping than the deck alone? John(ri)

I have a Sears and it works well. I believe the ratio is 5:1 and as Dutch said the ratio is important. When I bought mine someone on this forum recommended a ratio of at least 5:1. It will also sweep up small branches. It's always wet here so I have to have the height set precisely to keep the wheels from sliding. If I were to buy one again I'd check on how easy it is to adjust the height, how well it can maintain that setting, and most important, how strong the unit is built. Personally, I think that they should put bigger wheels on them so that they have better traction in wet conditions.

I HAVE A SEARS 42" AM VERY PLEASED W/IT. HAVE 40 SOME OAKS AND MAPLES SO IN THE FALL I HAVE VERY LITTLE RAKING TO DO AS OPPOSED TO WHAT I USED TO GO THROUGH W/O IT. I PUT MULCHING BLADES ON AND BLOCK THE CHUTE SO I MULCH AND SWEEP THEN OFF TO THE GARDEN ONE POINT I WOULD MAKE THOUGH, YOU "CANNOT" BACK THIS UP VERY EASILY AS THE BRUSHES CONTINUE TO TURN. IF THE BRUSHES DID NOT TURN WHILE BACKING, I WOULD RATE IT AS A TEN. AS A NOTE, I ALSO USE THIS WHEN I WANT MY LAWN STRIPED. JOHNP

Thanks for all of your help. I will proubably think of getting one now that i know that they work.