Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Onan ccka gas leak

john

I just found a gas leak on my onan ccka engine in my simp 4040. It would appear to be coming out of a gasket in the gizmo ( fuel pump ) where the gas lines from the tank hook to the engine. Having no real idea what this thing is i don't want to take it out or try to fix it until i have some idea of what iam working on. it is a steady leak when the engine runs and puts a lot of gas on the engine. the two gas lines hooke into it and then from it there appears to be a copper line that goes to the carb. any help would be appreciated . John s.

John s,

Am assuming a mechanical pump. Push, pull, or lever the tractor onto the trailer and head for the engine shop. Or, if you feel adventurous try to order new gaskets or tap out new ones yourself. Likely they don't 'em any more. Either way, the offending gizmo has to has to come off the engine and it's very easy to put it back incorrectly. If you,ve never tapped out small gaskets before and/or confidently disassembled and diagnosed a pump before I suggest a trip to the shop. Please let me know how it goes.

Stan

Floyd -
There is ?!?!
A few more minor miracles like this and I might consider rebuilding the CCK. But still, the overall cost.

Stan

Stan,
I wouln't kid you about something this serious.
Here it is:
Onan
Genuine Parts
No.149-0526
Pump Kit- Fuel
Ser.No. 97184
I put one of these kits in one of my 620's last fall.
The Onan Dealer in Mpls. seems to have all the parts for the CCKB's. Maybe because the're made here,I really don't know.I really don't think the CCKB's are dead yet, hpoe not!!!!

John S.
You can get a fuel pump repair kit from Onan, it also
comes with instructions. This kit fits both the CCKA
and CCKB engines. The kit sells for around $30.
I have installed these kits in both my CCKB's over
the years. Hope this helps.
Floyd

After work and fruday fish i went out and took some time to look and work for a while on this 4040 that is new to me. Since i have really wanted one of these tractors since they were new, and the farm budget never worked out until now, and I really started looking after the simple tractors came on the internet I have high hopes that i made the right decisionnto buy this one for the long run. I did buy it over the internet ( with a personal visit to clinch the deal ) a very pleasant experience. and ow that it is home i am looking at all of it and trying to set everything to specs . it ran okay when i got it , bit i was told it ( dieseled ) a friend with some experience called it surging . so with me time to night i took at what ( thanks to stan ) i am sure is the fuel pump. I had replaced the gas lines and it still leaked near the carb. So I looked the pump over and saw 4 screws on the side of it and was able to tighten them all up and the leak stopped for now, and guess what? non the surging is also gone, did i solve two problems at once for now i think so. I will contact my dealer for a pump kit for a later time. Now can you guys help me with one other question ? there appears to be two springs to the governor setting, one goes to the throttle that i see on my engine the other one goes to a dead fitting on the top side of the carb, so it does nothing ??? where is it suppposed to go if it is intended to really do something ?? or is it just for looks?? I would really hate to spend a lot of time adjusting it the way it is now cause nothing would happen. I have tried to follow all the discussions on these tractors, sure the cost factor scares me, but what would a new one cost today and what would new repair parts cost for a new one ?? I really appreciate all the comments and the help, many of us would be lost out here without this site.. Thanks John S.

John S,

Sounds like the governor springs are correct. The dead fitting is the anchor, the other end moves. Make sure your idle mixture is set correctly and the idle speed control screw set for 1000 rpm. Adjust low speed governor nuts to run engine @ idle @ 1200 rpm (the dead anchored spring adj). Run the throttle to full speed and adjust the governor high speed to 3825. Readjust idle speed control set screw to 1200 rpm. Done. Can't believe I over looked the loose carb screws !! Sometimes the loose screws start the leak but, after the gasket gets saturated, tightning the screws won't completely stop the leak. The heavier the fluid the more likely this will happen. Hope this makes it a little easier.

Stan