Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ol Bessy? Allis? whats your tractors name

poolshark

What is your Tractors name? wanting to hear some good tractor names, from humorous, hard working, bizzare, ect...

I haven't named the tractors, but the little Hahn Co. 3 hp. front tine tiller I blew up two weeks ago was named "Hanibal," after Hanibal Lector, the insane psychologist (?) movie character played by Anthony Hopkins. (I got this tiller for free, so don't be too upset by this tale of abuse. I wouldn't normally do this, but I have four tillers, all of which are bigger, and apparently stronger. The gearcase seals leaked, and the case had a broken bolt, among other problems. But for what it was, it was pretty effective). The name came from the fact that, being too lazy to unbolt the drag bar to raise it, I wheeled him out to the garden on a pushmower deck (with no engine) when I wanted a mutual torture session, putting in our new garden. This reminded me of when Hanibal was strapped into the handtruck in the movie, when they wheeled him into court, etc... in the most recent movie. That plus the wire mask so he wouldn't bite people, which reminded me of the tines--this tiller had more tines on it than one tiller should have, I think. This little machine was also very FIERCE, like its namesake. The engine was unnaturally loud, and was probably running at 5,000 RPM, or more, as there was "no one running for governor," if you know what I mean (bent, broken airvane governor). When the sun started to set, the actual flames shooting out of the muffler, constantly, became visible. The muffler glowed red hot, again, once the light was getting low. I couldn't start it in the yard, as neutral "broke" again, when the cable I repaired failed again. So I had to start it in the garden, where it didn't matter if the tiller's drag bar cut into the earth, when I tipped it back with one hand and pulled the rope with the other. It also smoked rather fiercely, and jumped about wildly. I first thought the jumping was due to the fact that the tiller was very light, but my friend noticed some of the tines were on backwards, so that made it a little "jumpy" LoL. It really tilled like crazy once I welded up a broken tine and reversed the reversed ones. Sadly, Hanibal's connecting rod became dis........connected from the piston. The engine even ran a few seconds in this discombobulated state, I believe, with combustion gases driving the piston down, and the crank pushing it up, like one of those weird "two piston/one cylinder" experimental engines I've seen. I may autopsy it this winter, as I question whether the conrod cap might not have simply come unbolted. Nothing came flying through the block, but you can definitely move the piston thru the plug hole, independently of the crank. I know, I'm going to h--l.

Peter, could you explain more on the "two piston one cyl." engine I've never heard of one. Jordan

Not very original but, Oliver is "Ollie", AC is "Allis", Dynamark is "Dinah" Wheelhorse is "Red." Craftsman, Case, Bolens, can't be easily shortened, hence, no names. But, all my tractors are called "Girl". And must be treated with the appropriate measure of respect given any "proper lady"........Art.

1964 Landlord had smokey engine when first aquired. Wife commented one day after I finished mowing that my clothes were stinky from that smoking old mower I was using. Guess that explains my club handle and my tractor's name although the Landlord runs a lot cleaner these days.......................

My B-1 is "Gertie", B-210 is "Myrtle", HB-212 is "Bertha", all named by my kids. They haven't come up with any names for the other four yet.

I've provisionally named my 7790 'Rudolph' because it is my first diesel. Named, of course, after Rudolph (Diesel) inventor of the compression ignition engine. Carl

I have (2) 716H tractors; one is named Al and the other is Les. I have (2) Landlord 101's; one is named Moe and the other is Frank (after one of my former landlords). The Wheelhorse is named Horace (horse, horace, you get it).

Jordan: I wish I could, but my memory on this is very vague. I believe I saw it in the EAA's (Experimental Aircraft Association's) "newsletter," which is actually a very nice magazine with much useful info in it. I also wonder if it was associated with the Australian Orbital Co.'s R & D (Orbital was seen, in the 90's, as poised to offer very clean running 2 cycle engines for the auto industry--not sure how that's going now). Anyhow, WHEREever I saw it, I remember two pistons in one cylinder, where "TDC" would be with both pistons crown-to-crown, or head-to-head, in the center of the cylinder, where there was a spark plug. I don't remember how the crankshaft was, but presumably there had to be two crankshafts. (Although I remember something was "missing" from this design, i.e., not needed.) Please don't ask me what the advantage of this design was, b/c I don't remember. I just remember the two pistons going at each other inside the bore. Sorry for the mental Swiss cheese. Peter

I named my A-C after my wife Andrea. It the perfect name. If I get mad, she doent care if I vent some and if she complains that I'm spending too much time out in the garage, I reply, "But its with you". This name was thought of after she told one of our members at the Rhinelander Picnic that I spend too much time with all my other girlfriends. After he gave me a dirty look and I had to explain what she meant by my girlfriends. Dan

My 720 Allis is called "Owen." This is because the first time I had to work on the engine, one of the mechanics told me, "those Owen (Onan) engines are a pretty good motor." It just works for me! Dave

My first tractor, a 6216 is named Orange Crush. I then purchased a 7117H, who became known as Tony, the Tiger. Driving home one day I came apon a 728 with a free sign on it. This tractor is now called Lucky. My last find was a rear engine Bolens I call Golden Boy..

Our pulling tractors: The 718 is AC-Ace (single cylinder) the 917 is AC-Deuce (twin cylinder). The Hb212 is "yellow boy", the 712 is "orange girl", the 3414S Baron is "red baron" and the 3415H is "Simon" as in Simple Simon. The others do not have names.

The "Atkinson Cycle" engine used two piston one cylinder. You can find a description here http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/diff/index.html. This is the link to Lindsay Books. Has some neat stuff. Great source for some unique info on most things mechanical. Has many reprints of out of print books and original plans.

I have a 620 Allis which is named "Awesome" by my son 'cause of the awesome job it does mowing large lawns. My 720 w/loader is Aunt Allis - a nickname my Dad used ofter to refer to the Company. And my restored Allis 616 is called Baby as it looks so much like a Baby AC 190. Steve

Gee Peter that was a very interesting and informative answer.What did you name your tractor. Keep up the good work.---Ron B.

My 61 Wards is "ThunderFoot', and my 77 AC 716H is "Hydrophobia". I used to have a Dynamark named "Clodhopper". My boys will not let any of the names be female. Rod H.

"Harry" Simplicity 700 previously owned by an optometrist from Presque Isle named Dr. Harris. Malcomb Harris,to be explicit. Worked on his family's camp after he died and they "gave" me Harry. Luck occurs.

Ron B. Thank you for your compliments and support. Sometimes I feel that the less verbose than me are burdened by my verbosity--glad to know you enjoyed it...that's why I write so much detail. :) I haven't named my Wonderboy 700 because I haven't started using it yet. It's repairs are going slow as I've been working on, and with, my Dad's Landlord. I haven't named that either. Hmmm... I don't like the only name that just popped into my head, just now, for the 700, but your question may have prompted a name after all..."Uncle Wiggly." (Remember the children's board game by that name?) The tractor is so "loose" that it feels pretty wobbly to drive... bad BGB keyway, bad steering keyway (makes for extremely "flopsie mopsie" steering), broken front hood support, torn and vibrating flex disc, no grill, all the hood hardware and spacers fell off during a test drive, broken Starter-Gen bracket, no battery tiedown, leaking transaxle seals, bushings on the front spindles, not ball bearings....) Jeez...I hope that name doesn't end up "sticking"--LoL! Peter

I have not personnaly named my 6216 but the neighbors affectionatly call it" The Beast".Whenever their machines cannot preform they call on The Beast. Its at least 15 years older than their Honda's and Murrys and Craftsman. I am the third owner and I'm sure when I'm gone it will still be running.(maybe under a new name but the same ole Beast). Now that I have a Simplicity I could never own anything else. I have got the fever bad. Mechanical things must not upset me.(repeat 100 times a day)

Actually, it's not very orginal at all, but we've always called the B210 "Little Alice". Steve

Steve, Same with us. We call the B210 "little Alice" and the WD45 Big Alice or Red Head Alice. Beamer

I generally don't name any because they are never here long enough to get named anyhow. But I have started calling this 720 here "Murphy" because anything that can go wrong or be wrong with it generally has and is thus far.... Its painted up now, so if it don't end up working at least it will make a handsome yard ornament.......................