Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cylinder Index (he he)

Cheap_Dave

Here we go.... While traveling in Minnesota last year a radio host was discussing his "Cylinder index" and went as far as to say that his Cylinder Index number should equal his age? Cylinder Index is the number of Cylinders (pistons) you have (i think they must be running or planned to be running) example family car (V-6) = 6 cylinders Pickup truck (V-8) = 8 cylinders Outboard moter = 2 cylinders weed wacker = 1 cylinder Backup weed wacker= 1 cylinder Simplicity = 1 cylinder Back up simplicity= 1 cylinder cylinder index total = 20 Age 42 need 22 more cylinders (he he) or -22 so when my wife asks me why do i need another... whatever... I simply mention that I'm working on my Cylinder Index (he he) and after a puzzled look on her face i then say it's something you learn at guy school..... now don't get me wrong if your 25 and have a cylinder Index of 30 doesn't mean thet you have to get rid of things (heaven forbid) keeping in mind that your age will increase to that number (and hopefully your Cylinder index will increase as well). Basically your banking the cylinders for later. so you just can't loose. Personally when i'm not actively increasing my Cylinder Index i can be found on warm sunny and breezy afternoons in my hammock, actively calculating my Cylinder index (sleeping). I have the unique ability to do this "Calculating" while not only in my Hammock but also while watching football and Nascar on TV, I think its a gift from god to have this ability. You may find that you have this amazing ability also, possibly while golfing, fishing, hunting, eating, when your in the bathroom, or when your in the process of some other enjoyable activity you can say without lying that your calculating your Cylinder index... My wife thinks I'm an idiot (Idiot like a fox). Now since I have brought this Cylinder Index to light (or maybe its been here all along and no one wanted to mention it, Guy school and all... sorry guys) an active discussion regarding this could be fun... Now for the question: Any feed back on this would be fun and also whats your cylinder index? I'm actively at +2 with an index of 44 Oh uh I may have made a mis calculation, time to get a tall cool drink (adult beverage) wander over to the hammock and re- Calculate my cylinder Index yet again ................zzzzzzzzz Cheap Dave P.S this may generat a whole new area in your profiles and a whole new section in the forum..... Cylinder index.

Cheap Dave, no "idiot" could do such advanced math in his sleep, I submit that you are a "genius"......my cylinder index is; +4 -3 =, no make that +4 +3..is.....yawn.......Art

I’ve been thinking about this “cylinder index” for the last couple of days and thought that I was low, counting my company truck (V10), pick up (V-8), wives car (V-6), sons car V-6) I come up with 30 [-22]. Add my 712H, 7117H,ATV, 2 Mowers, Weed Eater, 2 snowmobiles, air compressor, old walk behind snow blower, model airplane engine and model steam engine brings me up to 49 [-3 (doing better)]. Now wait, there are 4 20# propane cylinders [+1], Oxygen & Acetylene [+3], Bernz-O-Matic [+7], Each Vehicle has 4 wheel cylinders and a master cylinder for a total of 20 [+27], ATV 3 brake & 1 master 4 [+31]. Back to the tractors, they both have Sundstrand transmissions, 9cylinders on each drive pump and drive motor for 36 total [+67] 7117 has hydraulic lift and power steering for 2 more [+69], I guess I’m not doing too bad! Next I’ll have to go to SETUP and find out how many cylinders the Hard Drive on this computer has. Don

You forgot The Master Cylinder........ "Quick Feeelix, into the rrrrrocket ship!!!"

Cutlass V-8 Monte Carlo V-8 Cutlass V-6 Buick 4 cyl 53 Ford Flat V-8 620 2 Early B-10 1 Late B-10 1 B-110 1 Weedwacker 1 Chainsaw 1 I won't even mention compressors and other piston devices I have around here. Total 41 And I'm only 37 Maybe we should combine the household ages since others benifit from the cylinders devices too. Dan

3 V-8s 1 V-6 1 4cyl generator weedwaker lawnmower Chainsaw 64 Landlord 69 Broadmoor I'm one short!! Somebody please donate an B10 with a tiller attachment and my CI will be fufilled, till my birthday.

I thought the whole point of this was to allow our "significant others" to feel better about our latest aquisition??? anegative number would be better (GOT TO GET ANOTHER ONE HONEY i'M SHORT ON CYLINDERS) Will

here is a link to a previous discussion on CI . http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5833

Also, this is a link to a web site for Cylinder Index. I believe this is the radio host who started all of this.... http://www.garagelogic.com/ica.htm Steve

Nuts, I didn't realize that there were official rules, internal combustion only, still puts me @40, or -12. Don

(38)6+(47)6=12--(49)4=16 (51)4=20 (51)4=24 (51)4=28{oops}(46)4=32 (44)4=36 (52)4=40 (53)4=44 (54)4=48 (57)4=52 (chain saws)2=54 (89,6517)2=56. Safe with some left over to grow in to. Still Have 10 tractors, pick up, weed whacker, 2 out boards, 3 old lawn tractors 2rotor tillers, 4 or 5 push mowers and a generator. Does the wifes car count if you made the payments? Al

I am 16 and I already have a cylnder index of 30, that includes the ones my dad owns since I work on and use them....he is not into collecting.... Andrew