Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

SIMPLICITY 3416H transmission

I am in the process of getting a soverign 3416H up and running, the manuals that I have don't spec the type of fluid to use in the transmission, one guy said I could use Ford automatic transmission fluid, is he right? I have drained the fluid from the transmission, can I just add the fluid to the resivor, or do I need to bleed the system? What is the fluid capacity of the transmission?

ScottS
HI Tommy, The manual I have says to use dexron. Dosen't say how much though. I have one of these tractors and that's what I use. I would say fill the resivoir full and let it run for a few minutes and check it and fill as necessary. ScottS

Kent
The Simplicity Service Poster at: http://www.simpletractors.com/service/lube_pg2.htm Says... Dextron Automatic Transmission Fluid (only) -- 56 oz. (Fill to bottom of check plug in reservoir) The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Dutch
When I got my first tractor (7012 w/ Sunstrand) the hydro didn't leak a drop. I wanted to "take care" of the machine, which naturally meant changing all fluids. When I drained the hydro unit, it had hydraulic oil (golden). The manuals specified Dextron (red), so that's what I put in. The hydro turned into a fountain and I had to replace every seal within 2 months. Then I found another manual that specified hydraulic oil. Don't forget, when the manuals were printed there was Dextron & Ford ATF. Then it went to Dextron II, III, universal, it doesn't matter, etc. Who knows what additives are in today's oils that weren't even invented 30-40 years ago. Go figure.........................