Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower deck problems HELP!!

johnmonkey

I repainted my mower deck ID# 1122 112664 on my AC 710 (1978 new style hood) and ID # 1690215 111959. The 710 needed new idler pulleys and I put a new belt from the pto down to the deck. I put it all together. The lift cable is too long and does not start to lift the mower deck (as you pull towards yourself) until it is hitting the seat! the belt is also too tight and makes it hard to spin the blades around. After one minute of practice mowing the center spindle was hot to the touch as was the two idler pulleys. My two questions are; 1) Is it normal to pull the lift towards the driver to lift the mower deck? (my 1963 725 you need to push the lift arm forward to lift) 2) Is the mower deck the correct number for the tractor?

A cable "cheater" will cure the lift problem. Did it all of mine. As for the heating pulleys, take the belts off and make sure everything turns free. When you reinstall the belts (they are OEM right?), make sure they are routed correctly. Also, check the deck idler. That is often "froze" from neglect.

Dutch, What is a cable cheater? I just re painted the deck and the deck idler was very free the blades spin very free. The belts are OEM (original equipment according to Sandy Lake) and were routed correctly. I think that the belt was too short but I don't know why. That is why I think the deck is not the correct # and if so do I need a longer belt?

A cable "cheater" can be found in most any auto parts store. It is "triangle" shaped and has a small "J" bolt. As you tighten the "J" bolt, it pulls the cable shorter. They are made for auto emergency brake cables that have stretched. As an alternative, I use one (1) link from a chain. Fold a section of cable, push it thru the link, and install a cross bolt and nut so the cable can't pull back out. Some decks have different size pulleys than others. If your deck is not OEM for your tractor, you may need a different size belt. Although, there should be enough in the idler assembly to take up a little difference. Check the routing again. It's very easy to make a mistake.

Hi, As to the first question, yes it is normal to pull towards you to lift the deck on a 710. I was shown a fairly elegant way to take up the slack in the lift cable. Go to a hardware store and pick up a rolled steel pin of the appropriate size. You want it large enough so it won't pull through the hole in the cable lift assembly. Spread the pin at the slot just enough to get it over the cable, between the cable end and the lift assemble. Once it is over the cable crimp it so it can't slide back off the cable. Depending on the length of pin you get you can make up quite a bit of lift with this. As to the deck matching the tractor I did a search on the simpletractors site and could not find the number you provided anywhere. But I was getting some wierd errors there also so take that for what it is worth. Rob

I'm was in the process of updating the site -- that's why you were getting those errors. It's done now, and search is working again. The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Kent: As you drag a-- from one crisis to the next, signing each (slightly?) breatheless "All Clear" message as you do, once you've resolved the problem, I can't help but chuckle at your "signature," "The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...." My feet would be draggin' too, if I was responsible for service to my country, family, tractors and website). So I find your signature perhaps more appropriate than even you intended.... Glad to have you for a Custodian! Peter

Thanks Kent. I was kind of wondering if that was the problem as I was getting access errors etc. Doing a search this am turns up nothing with that id number John. Rob

Use the what fits section. http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/what_fits.htm Back to your cable length issue. Did you check the cable pulley under the tractor to make sure nothing is worn and the cable is in the pulley groove?

The cable is in the groove (I wish I was) I just got off the phone with Bette @ SLI and gave her the #'s I have on the deck 1122 112664 and from my tractor a 710 #1690215 111959. She said that my #'s were incorrect (on the deck) and there should be a different set of #'s that I can't find. She is researching the situation and I hope I will get it running. It seems the belt is too short. I believe the deck is from a 1972-3 716H but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks for all your help. John H

PS Kent , Thanks for doing all of the ground work on the site it is wonderful. I'm still getting used to it , but it is still great!!! John H