Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
john

b10/b110 hard to start

john
Okay so i need to learn this new site, but my tractors haven't change. I messed with the carb settings on the b10 and b110 with the old cast iron briggs engines. What is the proper setting for the two screws for the idle and the high rpm on the carb, and which is which, there is one on the lower front of the carb and one under the air filter, somes times i can get them to run and some times i can't, and i think it is the wrong carb setting Thanks for the help John S>

Kent
From the Briggs 243431 Owner's Manual: CARBURETOR ADJUSTMENTS Minor carburetor adjustment may be required to compensate for differences in fuel, temperature, altitude and load. Initial Adjustment Turn needle valve clockwise until it just closes. CAUTION: Valve may be damaged by turning it in too far. Now open needle valve 1-1/2 turns counterclockwise. Close idle valve in same manner and open it 1/2 to 3/4 turns. This initial adjustment will permit the engine to be started and warmed up prior to final adjustment. Final Adjustment. Turn needle valve in until engine misses (lean mixture), then turn it out past smooth operating point until engine runs unevenly (rich mixture). Now turn needle valve to the mid-point between rich and lean so the engine runs smoothly. Hold throttle at idle position, set idle speed adjusting screw until fast idle is obtained (1200 RPM). Hold throttle in idle position and turn idle valve in (lean) and out (rich) until engine idles smoothly. Then reset idle speed so that engine idles at 1200 RPM. Release throttle - engine should accelerate without hesitation or sputtering. If engine does not accelerate properly, re-adjust needle valve to a slightly richer mixture. Here's the link: http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/243431/page_4.htm The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

MPH
John, the last time I couldn't get my 112 to dial in with the carb, about two weeks ago, I pulled the plug out and was totally amazed it could run at all. New spark plug and it runs like I rebuilt the carb. The temp change around here seems to require weekly carb adjustment so I often overlook the real problem. MPH

john
Hey this is wonderful thank you, now i can adjust it the way it should be, i thought about the plug and put a new one it, but you know i am not sure of the right plug brand or number so i used a champion h10 , i think, what is correct for these, i have at least three of them and they have an assortment of plugs. While i am at it the b110 is on the no start binge also, i put a point less system ( magnatron? ) on it and it ran for a while no it won't start either, i will set the carb but it currently has no spark or at least very little spark do you have the drawing of how the wires should go on the old point system? Could i have blown the electronic ignition? Thanks much for your help. John S>