Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity B-112 / Sears Homestead(er) Tractor

stevenj

The other day I was returning from a wedding and noticed a riding lawnmower salvage yard along the side of a county road and had to stop and look around. I was just checking out what he had and noticed a Sears Homestead or Sears Homesteader tractor that was definitely built by Simplicity. The Sears name was on the decal on the hood sides followed by either Homestead or Homesteader. I didn't pay that much attention at the time. I thought I'd check out this website and find out if Simplicity did manufacture for Sears, but I didn't see any such reference. Anyway, the dash of this tractor had a Simplicity serial number plate in front of the shift lever with the B-112 designation on the number plate. The tractor had the Varidrive set-up. The color scheme was an orange seat pan with a creme colored hood. The tractor had been partially stripped of parts. Has anyone else every run across a Sears tractor made by Simplicity?

Wow...this could be a real news flash, as I thought I remembered it being discussed that Simplicity had NOT built for Sears. This definitely makes the classifieds more interesting. If you got the Mfr. #, we'd possibly know about what year it was built. Nice piece of archaelogical fieldwork! Peter

Steven, Would it be possible to get some pictures? I'd definitely like to solve this mystery... The ID plate location and Vari-drive sound like an Allis B-112. But, they were still yellow in those days (1967/68). The orange color and Homestead (Homesteader) name was used by Allis, starting about 1970, for what was previously known as a B-207 or B-208... All these were made in the Lexington, SC, plant. Was it a vertical shaft engine, or a horizontal shaft with bevel gear box? Why would they make a Sears tractor with the Homestead/Homesteader name, then start using it on their own tractors a little later???? I wonder if someone may have "customized" this tractor, somewhere along the way, rather than it being original? If it's original, it would definitely be a "rare bird" since the Sears tractors from that same timeframe were blue and white, and made by Roper. I'd certainly like to see pictures.... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

I am puzzled by the B-112 designation. If this tractor was built by Simplicity for Sears, why would it carry and Allis-Chalmers designation? This leads me to believe it was a "custom" job. Pat

I agree,sounds like piece parts put together.However,just in case,maybe you should snatch it.Is it for sale?

Here's an update on my original posting. First of all it would appear that I was grossly mistaken regarding my recollection of what I saw the other day. After reading the replies to the posting, I decided to return to the salvage yard this evening (a quick 200 mile roundtrip, but I needed to confirm a few details that I obviously overlooked on my first visit) Let me explain further. The hood (and decals) were from a Sears Suburban 12 and not a Sears Homestead as I previously indicated. I must have been confused between a couple of tractors that I looked at that day. Next time I'll write down some notes. The hood was not original to the tractor (obviously). The tractor was an Allis-Chalmers B-112. I originally stated it was a Simplicity B-112 so I'm wrong on a second item. The tractor had been repainted in a Simplicity orange color and the original yellow paint was visible in a couple of areas where the paint had rubbed through. On closer inspection, this unit was beat-up. Lots of body and frame cracks that had been rewelded many times. The LR hub had been welded to the axle. You get the picture. On a positive note, it has a rear implement lift bracket and lift rod that are in good shape that I can get for $35.00 the next time I'm up that way. Please accept my apologies for reporting erroneous information and getting you all excited. One question, suppose I wanted to locate the Mfr # on a tractor. Where is this number located? On my B-210, the serial number is on the ID plate, but I can't seem to find the Mfr # anywhere on the tractor. Steve