Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiller for my 314

Ben_H

It off a 314 AC and i forget the length. The previous owner beat it to heck. I just really need the gasket that goes betwee the two case halves and new seals but the whole reason for taking it apart is that the chain is sretched about a mile longer that it is supposed to be. Is that normal to have a really stretched chain. I was planning on calling the dealer but I wanted to see what you all had to say first.

Chain are readily available on the 'outside', the gasket is the 'biggie'. You may want to go over on the Simple tractors side & do a search on 'tillers', find one that looks like yours to get an idea of the model #. then find the part # (via dealer or one of 'us') then you can look in jacks price database & it'll tell ya if available. If it's not, check with an older dealer & see it they have one on the shelf.

Seals are obsolete on the bevel gearbox on a 314 and everything else on a 314 hydro trans, right?

Ben, Over 99% of the time bearings and seals that are "obsolete" from the equipment manufacturer can be cross referenced by a bearing shop. Gaskets are usually no problem either. If you're like me and don't like the idea of using silicone between bare metal, get some gasket material and using the parts as a template, make a gasket by tapping the outline with a small ball peen hammer. As stated previously, roller chain and spockets are readily available as aftermarket items.

Yup, I'd agree with Dutch. The 'standard' stuff; chains, bearings and seals are usually 'crossreferenceable' (heck of a word eh!) and making your own gaskets isn't tough, No Worries!

Probably one of the best gasket makers is "The Right Stuff" made by Permatex. It is the approved gasker making material for oil pans on some of the GM products that do not carry an oil pan gasket. It comes in an aerosol powered can like cheeze-wiz. You bend the tube over to the side, and the product comes out. check it out, ilove it travis

Im not a fan of silicone and other types of sealers. its best to plane both surfaces and use a paper gasket.

The gasket for the 300 series tiller is available it is the same gasket used today on the tiller for the new prestige tractor so are the tines & most other moving parts. One note of caution when replacing the drive chains the simp. factory chains are continuous while chain bought elsewhere will need a master link, do you want to take it apart again just because aclip fell off the connector. Cal