Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ChuckR

CCKB rapping

ChuckR
My 4041 is rapping! Was using it the other day to move dirt and stones. It stalled and would not start. Found no spark at left plug, found it to be bad plug wire. Replaced it and when trying to start, the engine backfired, then started up. I assumed the cylinder had loaded up. Unfortuneately it is now making a rapping noise on the left side. Any suggstions where to start? Or should I bite the bullet and start the teardown?

MPH
Chuck, talked with an onan generator meck awhile back and he said these onans have a slot in the block for carbon deposits and one should remove the heads now and then and clean them out. Claims he hs fixed a lot of 'the rods are knocking' problems by doing this. Maybe some of our long time Onan runners on here will confirm or delete this claim. I don't know from first hand knowledge yet..MPH

PatRarick
I have seen this several times with the Briggs opposed twin. Even saw it on an Olds 98 one time. Something, such as backfiring, overspeeding, or just normal buildup, and a piece of carbon comes loose. It adheres to the carbon on the piston or cylinder head. It touches the cylinder head every time the piston hits top dead center. Sounds a lot like a loose connecting rod. There are some additives, such as Cenex Di-solv-it, that disolve the carbon when poured down the carb of a running engine. I've never tried it, but some claim that plain water will do the same thing. Just mist it into the carb of a running engine and the carbon is supposed to soften up and blow out. The best fix is to remove the heads and clean the carbon from the piston and head. Pat

UCD
Pat it's called steam cleaning the pistons old raceing trick used it all the time. hold the gas half way and pour the water in. worked real well. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

PatRarick
Maynard, Is there a recommendation for the type of water used, such as soft water, distilled water, etc.? I have my own well, and the water is hard. Seeing the mineral deposits left in our steam irons, coffee makers, etc., has kept me from trying this method. I assumed, with our hard water, that I would basically be replacing carbon with mineral deposits. Do you know if this would be the case? Pat

UCD
I don't think you would use enough to matter. We used what ever water was available. The deposit in your appliances is built up on the heating coils as the water sits there. In the cylinder it will go out with the exhaust. Elderbrok used to make a water injection system. It produced more hp. and better gas milage also a cleaner engine no carbon and cleaner oil. Also we used it to clean fouling spark plugs. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

MPH
Glad you brought that up Pat. I poured Rison down the carb of the 16 hp single on that gilson I bought dirt cheap because 'the rod' was going. After about 4 min it became quite as a new engine and is the sweetest running engine I own.MPH

ChuckR
UPDATE: Took head off. Something had been in there, Marks on head and piston. Could not find anything remaining. Cleaned head and valves, Have new gasket on order from Sandy Lakes. Will do other side as well.

PatRarick
Check down the carb throat for missing screws in the choke and throttle plates. Also check the spark plug for breaks or missing pieces. Unless you have been running the engine or working on it with the air filter out, there is little else that could have gotten in there. Pat

Dadsy98
I've heard of the water injection system. Of course that was many years ago. Haven't seen it mentioned until now. So, What would be the pros and con to taking my wife's plant mister to the air intake of my 16HP Kohler ??? Steve

MPH
Maynard, would you happen to have any info on that water injection system Elderbroc used to make. Had an uncle from Wyo. used to run some sort of system on a 59 dodge wagon, and he always bragged on his milage...MPH

UCD
Martin Sorry i don't any more when i sold my garage and speed shop every thing stayed there and they thew most of it away. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD