Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

what other brands

simplejim

how many of of you play/work with/restore other brands of old tractors? what brands?what do you like about them?are they as good as your simplicity/allis tractors? simplejim

I don't restore anything. I play/use/hoard them. :) I have a Bolens 800 or 900 with a wisconsin engine. Even when the engine runs good the Bolens just doesn't seem to handle or ride as nice as the simplicities of similar vintage. I just got a Wheel Horse C120 with 12HP Kohler and hydro tranny. No attachments yet and needs some tires but seems to be a well built machine. I have a CC 782 with 50" deck. Now this does ride as good as a simplicity. Haven't mowed with it yet. I like that is has dual hydraulics. Now that I got my carb situation settled on my 7117H with 18HP Magnum I'm back on that bandwagon. Rides good and has plenty of power.

I have a '65 Wheelhorse 1277 hydro, which is pretty cool because it has a 50" sickle bar that works well. However, it is not nearly the tractor that an Allis is. The cool thing about it is that it's hydro, when you couldn't get a Simplicity hydro. I also have a 67/68 Jacobsen Chief 1000, with a hydro lift. Again, the cool thing about it is the hydro lift. It seems to be made quite well too -- lots of cast aluminum for the body. It's not as accessible as a Simplicity for sure.

i have a fairly new husquavarna 15hp that i use frim time to time when i want to give my 3112 a wekend off

I have Cub Cadets. Two 582's, one 1605 and a Cub Cadet "Original". My most used machine is a 582. I have nearly every attachment anyone could want for that machine. Now, don't get mad but the 582 seems superior to my Homelites,AC's and Simplicity tractors. My clutch is trouble free and smooth. There is absolutely no lack of power in any situation most notably snowblowing. It always starts. It's very quiet, according to my neighbors, they actually comment about that. The engine is completely enclosed from the weather. It's got a very strong frame and attachments are relatively easy to hook up like 5 minutes or less. The attachments are high quality with shaft drive wherever practicable, especially the snow blowers ( I have two, one single stage and one two stage). A loader can be added without the tractor cracking in half because the frame is full length. The grass cutting may not be equal to Simplicity BUT I am not a grass lover though I have plenty to cut, not acres but enough. Nothing turns me on as much as my Model 700's but that is aesthetically speaking of course. What a body!

I'd like to get my hands on a Power King (Economy). They are hard to find and a bit on the pricey side when you do find one. A big one with the dual transmissions would give a Powermax/720 a run for it's money.

I have an Allis 716-6 speed, and a B-10 that I actively use. The other ones I use are a Bolens 1050 with a Wisconsin 10 horse engine, a cub cadet 1000 with a 10 horse cast iron Kohler. These are both gear drive tractors. Niether steers as nice or is as smooth as the Allis tractors. The Bolens is a monster to drive, the wife will plow snow with the B-10 but won't ever sit on the Bolens. Although the Six speed trans and locking hub make it a good workhorse for snow and mowing the meadow. Besides if it gets hurt I have nothing into it. They were going to scrap it at work. I think that most garden tractors built around the B-10 time were equally strong (robust to use the buzz word) but I think a little more engineering talent was used by the Allis/Simplicity lines. Greg

If you are serious about Economy/power kings check out the link. http://www.probstauction.com/ There is an auction just down the road from my place with 5 of these for sale It is just outside of Lancaster PA

i've got a buddy that swears by cubs and they do seem to be built like tanks....what is an original? simplejim

That would be sort of equivalent to a Model 700. The first one or the Original. It has a rough ride and the attachments must be bolted on.

When my 3410Landlord died,my father gave me his JD208,about 1979 vintage.It's about half the tractor the Simplicityis. The Simplicity is in the process of being resurrected,and then I'm thinking the Deere gets sold or traded for something orange. Just found out about a AC,late 70's vintage,that may be at giveaway prices! Stay tuned...... kenny

Roper (Sears), Wheelhorse, Cub Cadet, Economy, Bolens, CoPar Panzer are the principal brands. Rod H.

I have 23 Massey Harris tractors, starting with a 1938 101r that didn't get the brake retrofit, so it has a brake pedal on each side of the tranmission houseing. My newest Massey is a 1957 555 dieasel. I also have a rare 1965 Ford 5000 GAS. Then theres the tiny ones. a early wheel hourse with a 5hp Koler. a 196? bolens B/S engine stuck, no time for it yet. 1972 sears/roper ss12 with a tuc engine, eats head gaskets. Low octane fuel problem. A 1971 New Holland hydro with a 12 hp. koler engine, needs work on the mower deck. Next project tractor as it is the best mowing tractor I have ever used. My most favorite of all is the 1938 101r. it's the only tractor I have that there isn't enough money in the world to buy. That 6 cyl chry indurstal engine is so qutie at idal people think it has stalled. Al