Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Legacy (Non-XL) w/loader opinions

fasterblaster02

fasterblaster02

I'm looking at a Legacy with loader and 25hp Kohler. Just wondered if anyone here has experience with them, and what weak points/drawbacks there are with them, along with positives. This would primarily be used as a loader. 

What would a fair price be for an average condition Legacy with loader, and 1000+ hours?

check the front axle pivot and spindle bushings. they are most likley wore out and the pivot bushing can get cashy to repair. most of the time the center pivot needs machined out and a bigger bushing made. i know @SmilinSam has done this on his legacy maby he will give some more info in it. as for tractor and loader price in illinois they usualy ask $3,000.00 or more for these tractors.

Yes, take a floor jack with when shopping. Jack up the front frame so the axle and spindles hangs of the ground loose. Then move and wiggle them around by hand.  Everything should be reasonably tight without much wiggle. 

These early Legacy axles and spindles are prone to heavy wear with or without a loader. All grease points need greased religiously.  With a loader the wear is just amplified.   The combined wear also creates steering slop and play that becomes unmanageable . Some of the steering problems can also be  due to the steering cap keyway getting wallered out on the one spindle top. Make sure and check that and watch it while you steer the tractor.

Alot of these worn parts are NLA and having a machine shop do the needed repairs and re-bushing will run you many hundreds of dollars. Just  re-doing the center pivot cost me $350.

Edited by SmilinSam