Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

30" tiller on a 738.

mbinwi

I decided to mount a 30" tiller I had on my 738.  I had to fab a couple of the mounting parts that I did not have.  Works good!  It's pretty much a leg powered operation.  Tractor in neutral, start the tiller, lower it down and let it dig in while keeping the tractor stopped with your legs, then use your legs to let the till advance itself.  Sometimes you have to use the raise lever to keep things going.  The test run I did was on hard, never tilled ground, tiller did a nice job.  I have the bar set so it digs down about 6".  Next week we go back to the north woods place and continue on with the 7016h snow thrower project.

IMG_2793.thumb.JPG.3636cb679a29ba37d54f9686505d7636.JPGIMG_2792.thumb.JPG.2ea41d2dc24bcb29a850905c404de1dd.JPG

IMG_2794.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mbinwi said:

Tractor in neutral, start the tiller, lower it down and let it dig in while keeping the tractor stopped with your legs, then use your legs to let the till advance itself. 

...and that's why they call it a Foot Dragger Tractor, right? I've seen FDT's with folks standing on the center grader blade, but not Fred Flintstone - style brakes.

:D  I did forget to mention that I also used the parking brake.  After the first pass, I could use 1st gear, to go through what I just dug up.  I had a guy on the SimpleTractor FB group think I was crazy, and an accident waiting to happen, but it was actually easy to control.  

That is why Simp offered a high low system.

If it is going to be dedicated to tilling, you might be able to use a larger pulley on the driven side like the Large frame Tractors.  B Series on up on the AC brand, 101 and up on the Simp brands

• Like 2

Another member just told me the hi/lo system also slowed down the tiller/tine speed.  Now I'm confused.  Thanks Greg.

4 hours ago, GregB said:

That is why Simp offered a high low system.

If it is going to be dedicated to tilling, you might be able to use a larger pulley on the driven side like the Large frame Tractors.  B Series on up on the AC brand, 101 and up on the Simp brands

1 hour ago, oldsarge said:

Nope, it DON'T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, mbinwi said:

Another member just told me the hi/lo system also slowed down the tiller/tine speed.  Now I'm confused.  Thanks Greg.

Ok....

Theres a big difference between the Hi/Low units as used on the large frames and the hi low units as used on the small frames.

Large frames have live power to run the tillers via the bevel gear box. Small frames do not have live power. When you push in on the clutch on a small frame it not only kills the rear drive wheels it kills the power to the tiller. 

The transmission used with the hi/low units on the small frames were 2 speeds with reverse. Tillers were never offered with those setups.  The 728 and 738 small frames (as well as later Yeoman models) that had tillers offered with them were 3 speeds with reverse. You used 1st gear to till with and blow snow with.  2nd was about the same speed as 1st in the 2 speed transmissions.

On the small frames the drive pulley for the transmission drives the tiller drive pulley through the transmission gearing. If you mount a old hi/low for the early small frames on a later small frame with the 3 speed, you will reduce ground speed, but you will also reduce the tiller speed. This  is because the hi low slows the shaft speed driving the tractor wheels  and in turn also thus slows the shaft speed driving the tiller.

I cant answer just how much it will slow the tiller, but it does slow the tiller.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, mbinwi said:

Doesn't the 738 run the tiller off a pulley on the opposite end of the transmission input shaft? That would mean if you put a larger pulley on the transmission to slow it down, the tiller PTO would also run at the slower speed.

This machine won't be a designated tiller, just going to use it once in a great while.  When I'm done eliminating a couple of flower beds, the tiller comes off, and the 738 is back to being a utility tractor for lawn implements, wagons, dethatcher, sweeper, etc.

I'll use as is for now, thanks for all the input, and thank you SmilinSam for the excellent explanation.

2 hours ago, mbinwi said:

This machine won't be a designated tiller, just going to use it once in a great while.  When I'm done eliminating a couple of flower beds, the tiller comes off, and the 738 is back to being a utility tractor for lawn implements, wagons, dethatcher, sweeper, etc.

I'll use as is for now, thanks for all the input, and thank you SmilinSam for the excellent explanation.

You know what I found these little small frame tiller/tractors useful for and well suited for, is weeding between rows in the garden  once a week. I used to plant the rows wide enough to run the tractor through with the tiller figuring the width of the grown plants.  Worked fantastic. Soil never got hard enough for the tiller to push the tractor doing it like this. Also made weeding alot easier after coming home from a day at work.

• Like 2

In my younger life, I have been known to get up out of the seat of a Sovereign and stand on the tiller while bent over the seat to reach the steering wheel. Making sure not to get my left pant leg to close to the v-belt pulley.

Edited by Bill725