Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vanguard 18hp to power a sunstar

beerbeer95648

beerbeer95648

I have another third thread on here about my Sunstar pooping out on me. Most of my fault. I'm picking up a Conquest with an 18 horsepower Vanguard in it this weekend. $900? Not sure if that's a decent deal, supposed to be low hours, but I don't know. Anyway, is there any issue powering the Sunstar with the Vanguard out of the Conquest? I know it would be a downgrade in power, but I've loved that Sunstar for quite a few years and hate to lose it.  I've already agreed to buy this thing but didn't realize it was most likely in the early 2000s before the power steering was applied to these conquests? Hence the thought of throwing the motor in the Sunstar

Edited by beerbeer95648

There were 18hp Sunstar's with Vanguards. The big obstacle to doing this conversion is that the Conquest has a vertical shaft engine. The oil pump will not be configured correctly and the intake and carb are likely different. Not sure what else. 

• Like 1

beerbeer95648

Oh, of course. OK... is there anything about the 18 horsepower Conquest that should make me walk away? Just want to get back to mowing. Only got about an acre and a half, but where things get a little dicey is the quarter acre on the hill on the front of the property. My sunstar I have liquid filled tires and rely on the differential lock. That's why this one on Craigslist caught my eye is because the locking differential. Looking for a used tractor under $1,000

On 8/21/2023 at 11:23 PM, beerbeer95648 said:

Oh, of course. OK... is there anything about the 18 horsepower Conquest that should make me walk away? Just want to get back to mowing. Only got about an acre and a half, but where things get a little dicey is the quarter acre on the hill on the front of the property. My sunstar I have liquid filled tires and rely on the differential lock. That's why this one on Craigslist caught my eye is because the locking differential. Looking for a used tractor under $1,000

Conquest's are decent enough as far as I know. Some of the later ones had power steering. The 44" and 50" decks are very good. @gwiseman ran a conquest for many years. 

• Like 1

Just make sure you have the valves adjusted when you get it. Then have them adjusted at regular intervals as per manufacturer recommendations.  If the Vanguards dont get their valves adjusted you can in the end  end up with bent pushrods and'or push rods that come unhooked...among other minor related problems.

If maintained these engines last a long time and use less fuel that their Kohler counterparts.

Currently operating a Conquest 20hp with 54" deck

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 4